Epdm or rpe liner material

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm a newbie building my first pond. Most folks seem to be ok with EPDM liner material but I'm working alone and the RPE is much lighter albeit less flexible (and a little pricey). Anyone have experience with both? I'll be using one piece of 20' x 30' to line a 9' x 11' pond and an adjacent 8' x 5' raised bog filter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
RPE IS NOT THE PRODUCT THAT CAN BE WORKED IN TIGHT CORNERS OR LOTS OF TIGHT BENDS MIND YOU EPDM IS NOT EXACTLY LIGHT BUT CAN BE WORKED INITIALY WITH MINIMAL HELP THEN ONCE IN PLACE IT CAN BE MANUVERED WITH OUT A TON OF EFFORT

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
catssingwelcome.gif
@barrybog

Reaction score
Country
United States
RPE IS NOT THE PRODUCT THAT CAN BE WORKED IN TIGHT CORNERS OR LOTS OF TIGHT BENDS MIND YOU EPDM IS NOT EXACTLY LIGHT BUT CAN BE WORKED INITIALY WITH MINIMAL HELP THEN ONCE IN PLACE IT CAN BE MANUVERED WITH OUT A TON OF EFFORT
Thanks a bunch, I'll get some help with the EPDM, at 80 years of age I promised the wife this would be my last major project.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

EPDM….absolutely! Maybe you can find some free labor from your community or church family. Hubby and I managed to install our first liner (EPDM) and it was a PITA! We redid the same pond about 2-3 years in, and enlisted the help of our college son and a few of his friends (they worked for pizza). Just the difference that 2-3 years made in our ages…..was telling. We just couldn’t do it ourselves second time around.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

EPDM….absolutely! Maybe you can find some free labor from your community or church family. Hubby and I managed to install our first liner (EPDM) and it was a PITA! We redid the same pond about 2-3 years in, and enlisted the help of our college son and a few of his friends (they worked for pizza). Just the difference that 2-3 years made in our ages…..was telling. We just couldn’t do it ourselves second time around.
Thanks for the input! I've always wanted to do this, it started as a small 7 ft. pond and expanded to 9 x 11 with a bog filter. Can't wait to get it finished (the wife can't either). The work is also cutting in to my golf time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for the input! I've always wanted to do this, it started as a small 7 ft. pond and expanded to 9 x 11 with a bog filter. Can't wait to get it finished (the wife can't either). The work is also cutting in to my golf time.
Your pond was 9x11 ? And at 80 your going to make a bigger pond? Watch out @YShahar this guy has us both beat.
Let us know how we can help

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your pond was 9x11 ? And at 80 your going to make a bigger pond? Watch out @YShahar this guy has us both beat.
Let us know how we can help
Thanks for the encouraging words, I'm blessed with excellent health. Hard work is good for the body and soul. This is a great forum and I have no doubt I'll have some questions some of you can help me with as I progress.

Ask a Question