Algacide stained my waterfall rocks

Reaction score
Country
United States
I tried a new algacide for my small pond but big waterfall. The algacide is purple in color. I missed calculated on the amount to add and added about 5 times more than I should have. Now all the rocks on my waterfall are colored blue. Curiously, the cement bottom and sides of the pond are not stained blue, only the large rocks on the waterfall. Is there any way to clean the rocks? The agacide I used was Cutrine Plus. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
maybe contact the manufacturer and see if thy have any suggestions. I don't use chemicals in my pond so don't have an answer for you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't know much about it but from a quick reading this is not a product for a small pond. The dosages are recommended by the ACRE:

"Do not use in waters containing Koi and hybrid goldfish. Not intended for use in small volume, garden pond systems."

Due to the high copper levels you may have stained your rocks for good. Some recommend ammonia, but I'd be very careful around a pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for the information. But why did this copper containing algicide only stain the rocks on the waterfall and not stain the cement bottom and sides of the pond?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you for the information. But why did this copper containing algicide only stain the rocks on the waterfall and not stain the cement bottom and sides of the pond?
IDK, contact the company, ask them and see what they say. Maybe it’s not the rocks, but the algae that’s stained….? Maybe it’s the particular chemical makeup of those particular rocks….?

Please post a few pics. I’m really curious, so you have to post a follow up if you get any answers!

Ask a Question