Allow Me to Introduce Myself

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome. I had a lot of algae this spring that clouded the water as it died....but mine was more brownish. Is this grayish "stuff" accumulating in your filters? If so, it's some type of particulate.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
Welcome. I had a lot of algae this spring that clouded the water as it died....but mine was more brownish. Is this grayish "stuff" accumulating in your filters? If so, it's some type of particulate.
Nope, filters are pretty clean. A little bit of sludge and BB is all. I have clear tubing, and can see the grey-bluish water coming directly out of the UV clarifier. But that's the only place I have any clear tubing instead of black.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Welcome, no I have not seen blue grey cloudy water before. Strange.

I am one of those water hyacinth causalities. :( Why oh why won't they grow for me??? lol!
Welcome C-Note! Nice little pond. I'm now thankful that I put aerators into my pond as a preventative measure. We have very hot summers here and my water averages 90F during the day.

Priscilla, I've also had a hard time with Hyacinth. What is your pH? My theory is that high pH is preventing Iron and possibly other nutrient absorption. Mine fluctuates around 8.6.

Reaction score
Welcome C-Note! Nice little pond. I'm now thankful that I put aerators into my pond as a preventative measure. We have very hot summers here and my water averages 90F during the day.

Priscilla, I've also had a hard time with Hyacinth. What is your pH? My theory is that high pH is preventing Iron and possibly other nutrient absorption. Mine fluctuates around 8.6.

Mine is also quite high, some where around 8 (matching colors is tricky). My GH is off the charts (I think its around 900ppm), not sure if that's a problem or not. I'm currently running an experiment where I have the hyacinths in the pond water and also in city water - see if that makes a difference.

Reaction score
I have never been able to get it to grow very successfully in my pond either. I believe the reason it because the fish eat the roots so the plants spend most of their energy growing new roots. I say this because last year I took a couple hyacinth plants and floated them in the top of my fake whiskey barrel looking thing. No fish to eat the roots and the plants took off like crazy. The roots were 2 feet long easy. The ones in the pond where maybe 6" long.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
in_and_out.gif
to our group!

My guess is dead algae floating around. It takes a fine filter to get it out, like cotton batting. (notice guess :))

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've been running my pond water for over a week now everyday through that quilt batting and water is really getting nice and clear. It's a bit of work lugging the batting out and hosing it off and putting it back in everyday but it is working so I trudge on and on and on with it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
C-note. Welcome to the forum. My wh and wl grow great. I think one of the reasons is my pond is not overly filtered and there are a lot of nutrients in the water for them. Also there are a lot of shallow parts in my pond and I think the plants pick up nutrients from those areas of the liner. Re:blooming typically this happens when they are stressed. Crowding is one of the things that stresses them.

Ask a Question