Am I insane

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
yes you can. we did it. our pond is fed by a lake behind our house that is about 12 feet lower. the issues are several. first you need a powerful pump with a very high head and a backflow valve for the pump. it will probably be a 220 volt pump like ours. check with sequence, MDM in colorado springs. the tech rep is Brian Moldinado. he is a great guy and very helpful in figuring out your total head including friction. we used 4 inch pipes. i don't recommend doing that, as i will never do it again. they are too hard to work with. 3 inch is still difficult but will work. you can use 2 inch if you don't care how long it takes to fill the pond.

you have to create a siphon cutoff system for the return flow so that the pond doesnt drain completely if the pumps go off. we set ours up so that when the valve is shut off, the pond will never drain below 2 feet. when the valve is open we can drain the pond entirely.

good luck.

Ask a Question