Ammonia levels, no nitrate. Fish dying.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello we have a 3500 gallon pond, its 3ft deep, 10x10 about. With a bog/waterfall. The bog is currently empty of plants, the pond we added some plants including water lettuce. Most have yet to grow.
So I recently conducted a water test and I got .25ppm ammonia (btw the pond has been up about 8 months so you'd think it'd be cycled) 0ppm nitrite, and to my surprise no nitrate?
We bought some feeder goldfish and put them in their after doing a drip acclimation and they all died due to ammonia poisoning... Our filter is a Aquascape 4500 w/built in UV.
Any thoughts on the lack of nitrates and height of ammonia? Some floating plants have begun to die...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome!
If your pond has been running for 8 months without any fish, the plants probably don't have enough nutrients to live off of and the UV you have is killing planktonic algae that would otherwise be consuming the ammonia.
It depends on where you live, what the quality of your source water is and if you have any other algae present.
The pond has cycled, but it would have a minimal nitrifying bacteria population.
I doubt the goldfish died from ammonia poisoning.
The zero nitrate reading could be because of the method used and the age of the test kits.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We added the fish originally about 1 full month ago. The plants are planted on top of dirt capped in pea gravel within' hydroponic cups. The dirt was prepared properly before addition to the water. I figured nitrifying bacteria within the filter would eat the ammonia, via that cycle. We have hard water, high in CA and MG, rich in iron. Diatoms it seems are present, string algae just on the waterfall *nothing to noticeable, you'd have to Look* How come you say it would have minimal nitrifying bacteria?
The goldfish did die from ammonia poisoning, specifically black smudge. Caused by excess ammonia and toxins, dirty water. Even though we perform water changes once a month.
The zero nitrate and nitrite, and .25 ppm ammonia came from a new liquid test kit, and was accurate.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
It sounds like there's a lot to your pond, some pictures would be helpful.
I say minimal nitrifying bacteria because it doesn't sound like there was much decaying organic material or source of ammonia to establish a substantial bacterial population.
What kind of soil? How was it prepared?
Can you provide more water test results? Have you been tracking the water quality?
Liquid nitrate test kits can give you a zero reading if they have been sitting for a while, so it's important that the bottles are shaken well before testing.
Ammonia poisoning can be determined by examination of the gills, they would be red in colour.
What toxins?
What makes you think you have dirty water?
What is the water change routine? Also, what is the quality of your source water?
"Black smudge" has many causes.
Lots of questions.;)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome, but sorry it has to be under these circumstances.

This doesn’t really sound like ammonia. There has to be something else going on. Could someone have added any kind of chemicals to the water without your knowledge? Pesticides or something like that?

Do I understand correctly that the pond went for 8 months with only plants? Then you added the fish? And the plants aren’t doing well either. Did you do a water change and add fresh water? Do you add dechlorinator? Does your source water contain chloramines?

Usually, you need the fish to be present in order for the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates to happen. And 0.25ppm isn’t high enough to instantly kill your fish.

Also, I entered your pond’s measurements into a pond volume calculator, and it showed that your pond would be around 2200 gallons — less than that if you have shelves. This number could be a factor when calculating how much dechlorinator, etc. to add if you’re looking at a 1500 gal. difference.

Can you post pictures of your pond and some of the plants?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome, but sorry it has to be under these circumstances.

This doesn’t really sound like ammonia. There has to be something else going on. Could someone have added any kind of chemicals to the water without your knowledge? Pesticides or something like that?

Do I understand correctly that the pond went for 8 months with only plants? Then you added the fish? And the plants aren’t doing well either. Did you do a water change and add fresh water? Do you add dechlorinator? Does your source water contain chloramines?

Usually, you need the fish to be present in order for the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates to happen. And 0.25ppm isn’t high enough to instantly kill your fish.

Also, I entered your pond’s measurements into a pond volume calculator, and it showed that your pond would be around 2200 gallons — less than that if you have shelves. This number could be a factor when calculating how much dechlorinator, etc. to add if you’re looking at a 1500 gal. difference.

Can you post pictures of your pond and some of the plants?
Hi Mmathis thank you for the reply,
I say it was ammonia due to the (list of) cause of the Black smudge. (name of illness).

No chemicals where added to water and no chemicals have been added to anything near the water.

the pond is 3500 gallons, the measurements i gave where not per mm.

Yes 8 months with only plants, added fish about a month ago, plants submerged are doing fine just Azola is struggling. Water lettuce had burnt leaves but has new growth (recently added these)
We dont add dechlor as the water comes from a well.

No chloramines or anything toxic @MitchM I didn't say there was toxins in water re read post please.

@Mmathis the dirt was the start of the cycle for the pond.
We prepared the dirt via this @MitchM http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...-mineralized-soil-substrate-aaron-talbot.html

Reaction score
Country
United States
It sounds like there's a lot to your pond, some pictures would be helpful.
I say minimal nitrifying bacteria because it doesn't sound like there was much decaying organic material or source of ammonia to establish a substantial bacterial population.
What kind of soil? How was it prepared?
Can you provide more water test results? Have you been tracking the water quality?
Liquid nitrate test kits can give you a zero reading if they have been sitting for a while, so it's important that the bottles are shaken well before testing.
Ammonia poisoning can be determined by examination of the gills, they would be red in colour.
What toxins?
What makes you think you have dirty water?
What is the water change routine? Also, what is the quality of your source water?
"Black smudge" has many causes.
Lots of questions.;)
The dirt is/was the source of ammonia for kickstarting the cycle.
Soil was topsoil, no fertilizers, all organic, etc etc.
Be more specific.
We did the test properly as said.
No toxins, re read please.
Re read please.
Black smudge has the causes i listed, this is where you got confused it seems.
We drink from the source of the pond water. Well.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just curious, but how long after you added the gold fish did they die? And how many did you add? Did you add them all at the same time? Were you monitoring your water parameters or just do a one-time reading?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The goldfish did die from ammonia poisoning, specifically black smudge. Caused by excess ammonia and toxins, dirty water. ...

I have re read it and it reads to me that you're describing why the goldfish died from ammonia poisoning.

Anyways, the only way you determine ammonia poisoning is the appearance of red gills, sign of ammonia chemical poisoning. Black smudge can be the result of physical injury as well.
Feeder goldfish are often of poor health because they are raised to live as long as it takes for another fish to eat them.
0.25 ppm ammonia is not sufficient to kill healthy fish.

If you used organic topsoil, that's good. The link you provided states to use cheap topsoil which often contains herbicides and pesticides.

Again, if you have any other test results, please post them. If you are a planted tank enthusiast, you already know that healthy water contains a balanced level of nutrients.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just curious, but how long after you added the gold fish did they die? And how many did you add? Did you add them all at the same time? Were you monitoring your water parameters or just do a one-time reading?
All died at separate times due to same cause (black sludge), all died about 2-4 days apart. Added 8 fish. Same time. One time reading as of this time, had on old test kit but we ordered a newer more updated one.

Also my question is not on the health of the fish its about why i have no nitrates w/ ammonia.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
OK, not sure why you are even posting here because I am getting adversarial vibes in your responses — almost like you are expecting us to give you contrary replies. I wouldn’t have posted this comment in the first place, but you did use the word “toxins” in one of your posts: “Caused by excess ammonia, toxins, dirty water.” But then you criticized @MitchM when he asked you what you meant by “toxins,” and then you denied having said this. You obviously already have a handle on what’s going on with your pond and have made up your mind that you are right and we are wrong. So no matter what we say, you’re going to argue about it. We have standard questions that we ask when someone is having a problem with his/her pond. Most problems with fish illness/death have a common cause (poor water quality), but we can’t help someone without cooperation in getting this information.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
All died at separate times due to same cause (black sludge), all died about 2-4 days apart. Added 8 fish. Same time. One time reading as of this time, had on old test kit but we ordered a newer more updated one.

Also my question is not on the health of the fish its about why i have no nitrates w/ ammonia.
You have no nitrates or ammonia because you don’t have fish adding to the bio load. Why are you asking us this question? Please go back to the web site you included, and talk to those people. And....it doesn’t bother you that your fish died.....?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry didn't mean to come off as rude im just posting quick replies as im doing 2 things at once.

We have 4 fish in the pond rn.

Asking because i need and answer, AA isn't a pond forum. *although they have pond journals* and i thought i'd come here to ask due to your all's experience in ponds.

Your taking my posts the wrong way it seems, i do care my fish died but i know how to fix that problem -> in order to fix that problem i must know how come i do not have Nitrates but i do have ammonia.

To reiterate the question -> How come i have 0ppm nitrate, but i have .25ppm ammonia? (and 0 nitrite)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada

If you have submerged plants as well as a soil substrate, there's your answer.
We would be happy to help you have a successful pond, but it would help to have a complete picture, so to speak, of your setup.
:)

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you have submerged plants as well as a soil substrate, there's your answer.
We would be happy to help you have a successful pond, but it would help to have a complete picture, so to speak, of your setup.
:)
Im at a hotel rn due to a nearby tornado watch, i cannot get a pic atm unfortunately my apologies for that delay.

"If you have submerged plants as well as a soil substrate, there's your answer." what do you mean by this? thanks.

Ask a Question