Baby koi fish just appeared.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7-A
I have been away for a few days and returned today. When I went out to the pond I counted at least 10-12 baby koi. They are about 2 1/2" - 3" They must have came from an early spring spawn that I was not aware of. They are eating bug bite food and are swimming with the large koi. Will these babies make it through the winter my pond? Pond is 3000 gal and 3' deep. I live in Md. zone 7B. The pond is covered in the winter with reinforced poly which acts like a hot house. It very seldom freezes even when temps get into the 20's . Any advice would be appreciated.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yes, they will make it thru the winter. Not sure how many koi you had but now you may need to find homes for some! There may be more you haven't seen yet!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
United States
My koi have also been reproducing but not in the numbers you report. Last year 3 black babies appeared and are now a healthy addition to the clan. This spring, two pale yellows and one orange baby suddenly appeared. I suspect that my nine adult koi may have cannibalized the remainder of small fry, but I have no proof of this. This year's crop of three tend to stay near the bottom at feeding time, but they must be getting some nourishment because they are growing and active. I probably underfeed my fish but I know they are constantly and noisily sucking up algae growth off the pond sides; plus, I regularly toss in water lettuce grown in a separate pond that contain lots of organic particles in their roots. The koi eventually eat the entire plant.

Ask a Question