Baby koi getting bullied by goldfish

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi I'm new and I just bought 2 baby koi for my new pond I made, and already had 4 adult goldfish in it, well out of the two koi one gets along great with the goldfish, but the other gets chased by them and is hiding from em 24/7 and I'm worried he's in danger of starving or getting killed by the goldfish, please if anyone can tell me what I can do to help the little guy please let me know asap:) thanks!
Tyler

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Welcome and if that new koi is a female could be the goldfish are trying to spawn w/her. Goldfish will breed w/koi.They can do damage to her w/all the chasing so provide a nice hiding place for her if possible. Most of the time they make it through all of this just fine tho.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome and if that new koi is a female could be the goldfish are trying to spawn w/her. Goldfish will breed w/koi.They can do damage to her w/all the chasing so provide a nice hiding place for her if possible. Most of the time they make it through all of this just fine tho.
Thanks so much for the info! I have no idea though if it is a female as the pound store I got them from never told me nor do I think they even check, he/she has a nice hiding spot but the goldfish were able to get in as well, but I'm also nervous he/she isn't getting any food, I was thinking maybe to just take both koi out and put them in a fish tank for awhile till they get a little bigger than put them back in the pound?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
wall off part of the pond with some kind of screen till he/she gets bigger. I just three my baby koi in with my giant 10" commets, no harm done, they are always schooling together

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
number one warning never buy fish and just add them to your pond .they need quarantined first one sick fish can mean disaster for a pond of healthy fish .You never know what you buy .Plus I have seen my fish eat there own babies .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I was told by the pond store to take him or her out and check for white spots? And he has em on his side's they look kinda like bubbles or white spots, and I put him in a 10 gal fish tank for temporary, but people are telling me to just take him back and get another but I don't want to give up in him, is there any medicine for the water for him? They told me to put some un iodized salt and that would do the trick?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would never use iodized salt on fish .You can get meds and now you have to hope he did not infect the other fish .Pets stores and even lowes sells some in there stores

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Keeping him qt in a small tank with clean water will cure him all by itself if it's ich. Elevated temps speed the life cycle of the ich . Keep the water changed out at a rate of 50% a day in a bare bottom tank with a heater set at 78 deg for 2 weeks after last sign of infection is gone. Feed sparingly.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Hi. I just bought 3 baby koi and the 5 goldfish keep bullying them. Please help me. I don't want the koi to die. This is the first time I have ever owned koi. I thought about taking the goldfish out, but I don't have something that I can put them in. There are 3 hiding places for everyone but they haven't worked and I don't have something to seperate the pond with. If there is something to seperate ponds with, please let me know so that I can see if I have it.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome Koi beginner- Sorry your new fish are not getting along. The thread you posted on is from 2016 but has some good info. Never add new fish without quarantining first. Next- how many gallons is your pond? Any plants for the fish to hide in? Go over to the introduction section and let us know about your pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Koi beginner ;

here's a trick you can try; catch all the fish and put them in a temp holding bin. If you have any structural pieces in the pond--rocks, tubes, even pots of plants, move them all around. Sort of like moving the furniture around. You can even move any aerators, add MORE rocks or plant pots, anything to disrupt the normal.

Then put the fish back in, letting the koi go first. You can even keep the goldfish waiting for a bit to give the koi some time to acclimate first/better. Then add the goldfish. Oh, and don't feed them for a couple of days ahead of time. Then, after they're all back in the pond, if they don't immediately hide, throw a few food pellets in and see how that goes.

I used to do something like this with my tropicals; established chichlids were established for a reason and they didn't like newcomers that didn't know their place and which territory they were entering so when I rearranged the furntiture, all territory was now up for grabs and new fish weren't as concerning as figuring out what happened to their world.

I don't have this problem now with my 'herd' of fish and I've never had my gf chase my new koi additions, but I also think when you have a LOT of fish, it's hard to pick on only one. Helps too to have a larger pond. Is LPS in your future????

:D :D

Ask a Question