addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A day at the beach, sharing the sand with horses!

We spent the day on Assateague island watching the horses, the waves and of course people.

They walked down the wood path to the beach.
IMG_1706.JPG

HURRY UP you two!

IMG_1707.JPG

IMG_1711.JPG

Strolling along the sand

IMG_1717.JPG

You are warned to stay a bus length from them, there was a heavy set women that was trying to pet them, this stallion did not like that. They get to pick their own spot on the sand, parking lot, anywhere. They post pictures of bites that people have received from them as a warning.

IMG_1713.JPG

the parking lot

IMG_1679.JPG
IMG_1680.JPG
IMG_1681.JPG
IMG_1682.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cool pictures (y) Is this the first time you have visited there?

The wild horses are beautiful but they are wild and should be admired from a far ;) Don't understand why someone would try to pet them. You could easily be kicked, bitten or even knocked down.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We used to go to Waipio Valley in Hawaii, they had wild horses there but they were used to people. The first time we went they got into our picnic lunch in the back of the jeep and then kept nosing my hubby while he was playing guitar. It was amazing. Great pictures and looks like a fabulous day Addy!

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's funny about the horses getting into your lunch. Years ago my Appaloosa was standing in ties while I was grooming him. I had a tack box in his reach with a can of pepsi sitting on it. He knocked it over and started drinking it. After realizing he enjoyed the pop I used to give him little bits here and there as a treat :) He even used to take peppermint candy out of my pockets, he love it.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We used to go all the time as kids, one of the places we camped at. A lot less visitors back then. We used to feed them apples, my dad's way, toss out the window, shut window fast! The horses will stick their heads into windows looking for food.

The horses are really used to people. They have it posted it is a 100 dollar fine to try and feed them, also say to keep your food put away. And to be smart and not approach them, they are still wild, will react if they think there is a issue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom

The wild horses are beautiful but they are wild and should be admired from a far ;) Don't understand why someone would try to pet them. You could easily be kicked, bitten or even knocked down.
I agree but people simply dont seem to understand that nowadays , I dont know if these people where born brain dead or it devloped at a later date .
There was a case in Goa some years ago about an American man who after stumbling into the path of an Elephant matriarc and her herd, now anyone with a bit of grey matter for a brain would sort of slowly put distance between him and them wouldnt they yes?
Not this guy he went up and touched one only to be half killed by the elecphants defending themselves and more importantly their young .
"He was lucky that people got to him and he was airlifted back to the US".

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
reminded me of Ocracoke here in NC. I miss going there. no horse running about though, they are fenced in.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Reminds me of the Big City folks up in Algonquin Park. When they see a moose at the side of the road, they hop out of their vehicles to try and pet the animals! :rolleyes:
John

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
reminded me of Ocracoke here in NC. I miss going there. no horse running about though, they are fenced in.
We camped there for 4-6 weeks every summer from the time I was around 10ish. We would start on Hatterus then go to Ocracoke, fond memories of burning sand, biters, fishing, enjoying life. Walking the beach to the store to get ice cream, my child memory is it was miles and miles, not really sure how far it was. Boiling water to drink, out houses, but boy did we have fun!

Met my first love there, coast guard guy, our families camped together for years, (we always seemed to end up there at the same time) No planning just happened

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Reminds me of the Big City folks up in Algonquin Park. When they see a moose at the side of the road, they hop out of their vehicles to try and pet the animals! :rolleyes:
John
People are idiots some times, then wonder who they can sue for getting hurt.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We camped there for 4-6 weeks every summer from the time I was around 10ish. We would start on Hatterus then go to Ocracoke, fond memories of burning sand, biters, fishing, enjoying life. Walking the beach to the store to get ice cream, my child memory is it was miles and miles, not really sure how far it was. Boiling water to drink, out houses, but boy did we have fun!

Met my first love there, coast guard guy, our families camped together for years, (we always seemed to end up there at the same time) No planning just happened
I camp there too, at the camp ground. We would go to the end of the island, there is a little cove where I would do crabbing and rake the ground for clams. that would be our dinner ;) it's so much fun. I took my son there once and he wants to go back again. I'll have to be more prepare for the sand fleas though, they are nasty. I would normally brought like 5 different kind of insect repellent for different type of activities lol. I try to go again this year, it's a bit far, but i love it there.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We used to gig for flounder, back in the old days, when the tide was out, just loved it. My mom, short heavy, would surf fish, so much fun to watch this 5'3" person stand in the surf and try to catch the big one!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patinmb

Latest Threads