sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I started with a preformed until the front porch was done and the yard was backifilled from the house basement being done

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I confess... I thought I knew what I was doing... had pictures and books and went to a pond building seminar - twice. I still ended up redoing things because they just didn't end up looking like what I had imagined!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I just started digging. I didn't even have a bucket, just a little garden seat I'd fill with muck. Thank goodness for you guys, I'd probably have west nile virus if I hadn't found you.
Although on the other hand I wouldn't have a huge pond addiction if you guys hadn't egged me on. Or FISH for that matter... And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids

You're welcome!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@addy1 - your irises, thriving in Northern IL!
IMG_1963.JPG

DeepWater

The Great Abyss
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
View from the screen porch:
Before - must have been about 2003, before a tornado removed the trees.
Pond-B-Before.jpg

After - June 5, 2017
Pond-B-After-resized512.jpg

Another view, from the patio door:
Before - June 4, 2013. Trees are gone, mini-fence across yard to keep young kids safe.
Pond-A-Before-resized800.jpg

After - June 6, 2017
Pond-A-After-clipped-shrunk800.jpg

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
So how many gallons was your first pond and how many gallons is your current pond @DeepWater ? I like them both. :)

DeepWater

The Great Abyss
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
So how many gallons was your first pond and how many gallons is your current pond @DeepWater ? I like them both. :)

I'm guessing old was about 1000 gallons, new is between 8 and 10,000 gallons. Still need to map out all the calculations to get it right.

Looking back at the first pond it looks nicer than I remember it. I guess after 15 years I just wanted to change it up (go bigger!!!) It did have problems I needed to address:
- During the pond's first summer in 2001, raccoons chewed holes in the liner folds and the patches were wearing out. I think there were 14 separate areas to patch.
- lower pond was 4 feet deep with straight down walls, and any water loss exposed the liner folds (aka raccoon chew toys).
- lower pond had only 1 plant shelf.
- no filter system except a pump sock and that would clog up after every rain.
- mini stream was just too small to handle any leaves or debris getting in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You're the second person I've heard of that had raccoons chew their liner - what the heck is up with that? You'd think one little nibble would tell them it's nothing delicious. Of course, maybe they find tasty stuff underneath!

DeepWater

The Great Abyss
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
You're the second person I've heard of that had raccoons chew their liner - what the heck is up with that? You'd think one little nibble would tell them it's nothing delicious. Of course, maybe they find tasty stuff underneath!

The tasty stuff was down in the water. I had 5 green frogs that summer, and I'm sure those raccoons were a little miffed they couldn't reach them. Took out frustrations by squeezing their jaws on the springy rubber liner.

Ask a Question