Before and After

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
OK - here we go...

June 2012.This is a shot of the wall before the deconstruction started. Our yard was bordered on three sides by this timber retaining wall. Never liked it, but we lived with it for years. You can almost see the electrical box in the back left corner - keep an eye on that as a reference point. I'm going to change perspective here.

Wall before.JPG

The day we started this was a happy day - less timber, more rock! This part my boys did with the help of a friend and his chainsaw. You can see we've already painted lines for the basic layout of the pond and water retention. Up at the back in front of the electric box the boys have already dug the bog.
Yard before.JPG

Then the big boys showed up with the big toys. They did most of the heavy digging and dirt hauling for us - thank goodness, or we would still be digging today. They had never dug a pond before, so my husband stood by directing traffic. They did a great job working together!

Digging.JPG

I love the picture so much - you can see we are great with the measurements! We overbought the liner by juuuuuuuust a little bit. My job was trimming and edge treatment. My hands were sore for weeks afterwards and I ruined my good pinking shears, but it was worth it! (We did salvage a big piece on the left side there and gave it away to a lady we met at a pond event. She was thrilled that she could build herself a little pond!)
Lots of liner.JPG

Here we are - filling it up for the very first time! We had our fingers crossed that the whole thing was level! Water tells the truth!
Filling it up.JPG

Fast forward to the first spring and here's our pond! We hadn't built the stream from the back yet - that's the plumbing line you see wrapping behind the bog.

First spring.JPG

And this one was taken on May 1 of this year. The pond is now almost six years old. I hadn't finished cleaning up from winter yet, but things were looking so pretty! That's a portion of my vegetable garden to the left.

May 1.JPG

And just for fun, this one is from today - 30 days after the first one. I took it late in the day, so it's a bit too shady for a good picture, but you get the idea. Look how much changes in just one month!

The blue pot on the patio has lotuses, just starting to come up. It's been too cool here for them to get started, but once they do, they are so pretty!

(Don't mind my bucket and tools - I spent the afternoon weeding out the sedum garden. Fun times!)

Today.JPG

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I love the change in your yard @Lisak1 ! Your pond is so pretty. And I like your landscaping around it, I am going to see if I can steal some ideas. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Lisak1 -- What a transformation! I love the excessively large liner picture too! Hilarious! But better to have too much than too little!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
A+ on your homework @Lisak1. Wow just wow! I can't believe how completely different it looks. You did an incredible job tying that timber wall with the pond on the left and I love the steps going up to the waterfall on the right. Lovelovelove.
This is now officially my favorite thread seeing all these incredible transformations!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here is my before picture. Hopefully, construction starts in the next couple weeks. I live in SE Wisconsin. What plants did you plant that you love? I see hostas, day lilies and some grasses.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    199.8 KB · Views: 174
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
There are probably a thousand answers to the following, but if you feel strongly about your response, please let me know.

Suggestions regarding accent lighting...where how much, etc.
Suggestions regarding a walking path.....materials, leave natural?
Suggestions on dry creek beds. I have a 20' drainage easement that runs across my backyard and I thought to take out the grass, put down some plastic and river stones.
Suggestions on a small functional bridge that will go over the dry bed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Chumley - there will be as many answers to your questions as there are posters on this forum. Every pond is different, every yard is different, every pond owner is different. You decide what YOU want and work from there. One of the ways we started was by looking at pictures and videos online of various pond to see what appealed to us and would fit our yard. We also visited LOTS of ponds doing local pond tours - a great way to get good ideas and ask lots of questions. Check out Aquascape and their pond tours - they have one a month all through the summer in and around St. Charles, IL which is not a bad drive for you from SE Wisconsin. I think there's another pond store in WI that does tours, too... can't think of the name right off the top of my head though!

One piece of advice - don't start construction until you know exactly what you're doing. Have a firm plan in place before the first shovel hits the ground.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Chumley, this thread alone has a lot to copy from, and there are other pictures scattered around the site from which to draw inspiration. Some pretty amazing transformations on display here.

That one piece of advice from Lisak1 is the one I didn't take. I was clueless going in, and almost felt like I was reading a novel ("I wonder what will happen next?") while I dug out the pond. I'm still building as a result. Well, maybe not building. Fixing. Full time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I was dreaming for years (and saving $) before doing anything. I watched every video by The Pond Digger on youtube and I bought a ton of books through Amazon. (Books are now my pond reference library.) The more I looked at, the more I realized I was drawn to certain types of ponds and plantings and such. A couple of thoughts just from my pond experience -- I am very glad I spend big bucks on my Helix skimmer. It works wonderfully and it's it's nice knowing fish won't get caught in it. If you do a waterfall, be sure to make your hill wide enough that it won't look like a volcano. A wider, gentler incline looks more natural. For lighting around, I just got solar path lights from Wal Mart for $3.50 each. They are very easy to move around. They aren't fancy, but with all my plants, you don't really notice them anyway. And as EVERYONE will tell you, build the biggest pond you can afford. A larger body of water is easier to keep chemically stable -- and virtually no one wishes they had made their pond smaller. In Wisconsin, you'll want to be sure to have an area deep enough for the fish to safely wait out the winter.

I can't wait to see what you do! It looks like you have a really nice area for your new pond!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@bagsmom - you did exactly what we did. We planned for over a year before we started. I made a binder with pictures and illustrations and examples and a plant guide... drove my male co-builders a bit nuts. But at least we were all on the same page when it came to design details. It's all part of the fun!

So many people dive in (get it? Pond? Dive? haha!) to building without planning or understanding what makes a pond work right, and then get frustrated with the issues they created by not knowing what they were doing in the first place. Some people don't mind doing and re-doing and re-re-doing - I'm a one and done kind of girl!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So many people dive in (get it? Pond? Dive? haha!) to building without planning or understanding what makes a pond work right, and then get frustrated with the issues they created by not knowing what they were doing in the first place. Some people don't mind doing and re-doing and re-re-doing - I'm a one and done kind of girl!
Why you gotta be talking about me like that???? So what if I've had to redo my bog and get new filters and re-rock and........

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Why you gotta be talking about me like that???? So what if I've had to redo my bog and get new filters and re-rock and........
;)

You know I love ya T! Your pond is proof that either you had a basic idea going in or your a pond savant... it's gorgeous!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I just started digging. I didn't even have a bucket, just a little garden seat I'd fill with muck. Thank goodness for you guys, I'd probably have west nile virus if I hadn't found you.
Although on the other hand I wouldn't have a huge pond addiction if you guys hadn't egged me on. Or FISH for that matter... And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids

Ask a Question