Beneficial bacteria

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Just had to have my pond drained & cleaned, which did take away all of the natural bacteria in it. Should I add beneficial bacteria back into the pond?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Why did you "have to"?

When you say "cleaned" do you mean power washed or just rinsed out?

Is the filter still running?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
they did power wash it and yes the filter is still running
if i need to add bene bacteria; would you recommend using MicrobeLift Pl or Aquascape, the powder one?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There should be enough bacteria in your filter. No need to add anything else, and from what I understand, the bottled bacteria isn't the type you need.

Beneficial bacteria for the nitrogen cycle needs air, food (ammonia) and the right temperature to survive and grow. It can't live in a sealed bottle on a shelf.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I have had some algae issues I have done a couple things one increase the oxygen level to the pond ,/ system . In the spring I did try Nualgi and that has visual results where algae would start to bubble and rise. Eventually loosing it's grip on the rocks and floating to the surface.

This year I have added a Bakki shower which is oxygenating the water without the use of extra energy. Added my Nualgi which did it's usual in spots where hair was present. But this year I have added BB and between the three I can't say which is the cause. The pond looks just a little better than it has previously. While the sealed bottle is not my first choice I went with the powder.
I know from friends who brew there own brew . The powder can certainly help things come alive feeding the bacteria,/ yeast in their case . So I figured I would give the BB a shot. Thus far I am not disappointed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Why did you "have to"?

When you say "cleaned" do you mean power washed or just rinsed out?

Is the filter still running?
The pond has a layer of round flat rocks all on the bottom. It was very dirty and I needed help in cleaning it up. The people that cleaned it did a complete cleaning with power washer on the waterfall. We are putting our house on the market and need it to be thoroughly cleaned. I realize that it's probably not beneficial to do this, but I needed to in this situation.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lessen your fish load if you have koi re-home them and toss in gold fish.. and cut wayyyyyy back on feeding.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Unfortunately a full pond cleaning may make it look worse, not better. The pond now is back to new pond status which often means “green pond status”

Ask a Question