Bog building, also called upflow filter, eco filter, wetland filter

Reaction score
In the last two the temporary pond would then be a perminant shallow water garden maybe? Its too shallow to keep fish in it in the winter, but i could use it for fish i can bring in. was thinking Oranda's? anyway it too would spill into the main pond, as you can see in pic 5... what do you guys think? too cramped an area? or maybe too much for that area?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks addy. I guess it's possible to move that over flow pipe, just as long as there's enough fall, so will measure and find some liner. In a post from Waterbug, he was talking about having an air space where one liner over laps another? The liner from the bog will have to overlap the existing pond liner. What do you think I should put under the over lap? It had something to do with water seeping up between? I'll never find the thread again, do you know what he meant?. :)

I have never sealed liner together like that and have not had seepage issues. I over lap, put sealant between the two liners and some sealant on the edges.
He is talking of keeping an air gap so the water does not work back up between the two liners.
I have overlapping liner everywhere, bought one piece for the stream, but with the twists and turns I had to cut it and do a ton of overlapping. So far no issues, this is the third summer.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In the last two the temporary pond would then be a perminant shallow water garden maybe? Its too shallow to keep fish in it in the winter, but i could use it for fish i can bring in. was thinking Oranda's? anyway it too would spill into the main pond, as you can see in pic 5... what do you guys think? too cramped an area? or maybe too much for that area?

From what I can see, I think that would look great. I used a large piece of stone to make a bridge over parts of my steam so I can walk over it.

I added those preforms in a small area with them flowing into the big pond, never thought they would fit but it worked out well.

If you like it that is what is important. The water from the big pond flows into the top preform, then into the lotus tank, then to the larger preform then via a small stream into the big pond

DSC03587.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
And there you have it! Addy has such great ideas! I love your ideas, Fishy! I can see your vision for sure. Sounds like it would work very well, and you would have a bog, and a stream, and a couple more areas of water to do with whatever you want. Remember, fall from one area to the other doesn't take much. I felt my yard was so flat, until I laid out liner for my stream. I had no laser, but just running a hose on it told me it had plenty of fall to flow the correct way. :) Good luck!!! Keep us posted. Loved the pics and idea drawings, too.

Reaction score
It's Beautiful addy! :cheerful: You really do have an eye for this stuff! You really think so CE? Thank you! hubby is afraid the wall will not support the bog, but I think it will. I built both sides before i filled it with top soil, then filled the spaces in the rock with that foam
THE WALL ISN"T BUDGING! Lol Besides I wont be using the entire area anyway, and it won't be that deep really... I'M GONNA DO IT! :claphands: NOW! If it will just stop raining! :umbrella:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The drop from the last preform to the big pond is not much, about 4 inches. The drop between the top preform and the lotus tank is an inch, enough for water to flow the right direction. I saw small fish in them, the only place I have seen fry, need to move them into the big pond before winter. The preforms will probably freeze if we get a bad winter. I am not doing anything to keep them open. I keep the lotus tank open with air, well did last year , will see what this year brings, it has rosey reds in it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yippee, Fishy is going to begin a bog and other additions to her ponds! I don't think a bog has to be very deep, just need to have that water flow up and through it, and the deeper it is, the more pea gravel, the more filtration. Keep in mind what is safe for your wall. Water and pea gravel will weigh more than the dirt, but I think you are on the right track. I have the stones that they use for walls, stacked with a ledge and they are holding back the dirt and waterfall and waterfall pool just fine. Keep posting pics as you go! It's oh so much fun to see later each and every step along the way!

FountainMan

Dihydrogen Monoxide-scaping.
Reaction score
Island.pngIsland bog design.pngStream.

I'm thinking of something similar to what Wayne did with making an island. Depends on how big the pond is. Too small an island may just be a space hog but in a larger pond an island allows water to flow freely. Or having a small pump feed water into the rock foundation to act as a filter. Or if you built a water course put some screening mesh in it to keep the peet from washing away and this will allow the roots to grow down into the water and the peet to soak up the water and the bog serves as a natural filter while the plants get constant supply of nutrients.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
fountainman, don't recall all about your water / pond etc. Keep in mind peat lowers your ph, my acidic loving carnivorous plants are in peat to keep the soil acidic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Dang, you are really good at describing and drawing your ideas, Fountainman! Can't imagine piling rocks up to make an island, but hey, if it works for you and if your area is fairly shallow, it would be a neat idea!

FountainMan

Reaction score
fountainman, don't recall all about your water / pond etc. Keep in mind peat lowers your ph, my acidic loving carnivorous plants are in peat to keep the soil acidic.
I grow all my bog plants in peet. This includes Juncus, Iris, Umbrella palm and carnivorous plants.

FountainMan

Reaction score
Dang, you are really good at describing and drawing your ideas, Fountainman! Can't imagine piling rocks up to make an island, but hey, if it works for you and if your area is fairly shallow, it would be a neat idea!
Thanx. You know what they say a picture is worth a thousand words. I choose islands for larger ponds as they look natural but also give more growing flexibility. Islands in some cases make the pond appear larger than it actually is.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I grow all my bog plants in peet. This includes Juncus, Iris, Umbrella palm and carnivorous plants.

Great, our ph is so low I can't put peat into the pond. The carnivorous plants (land) are in peat and sand.

Ask a Question