Bog filter and waterfall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I keep reading about bog filters and the benefits of pond water running through plants and pea gravel. I havent got space to have a bog filter which is independently supplied
My pond has a pressurised filter to a recently built a waterfall, not yet finished. The waterfall has a waterfall filter also. The water runs down the fall through some pea gravel which I have planted watercress and intend to put other plants in. I know from what I've read that this isn't a bog filter per second but would the gravel and plants be of any benefit to my pond?
Pics to follow

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Even though this isn't a traditional bog filter, it will deffinitly have a benefit. More gravel = more surface area for bacteria to grow = cleaner water. Same thing with the plants, the more plants the more nutrients they will be able to pull from the water, making a healthier pond.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Every little bit helps. My baby bog is undersized but it was enough to help knock out the green water problem I used to have.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The whole idea with bogs is that there's no soils for the plants to grow in. if you took your normal plants and put them in a pot of gravel it would not take long for them to die. With the bog the idea is for those plants to get all the nutrients from the water. thus robbing algae of food to grow.

Ask a Question