Can I cycle my pond with frogs?

Reaction score
Country
Ecuador
Hello, I am an American but I moved to Ecuador some years ago. Here there is not much available in the way of ammonia etc to help cycle the water. I could use shrimp but that would a whole lot of shrimp. I was thinking maybe I could use frogs to start the cycle. They are everywhere here, I don´t think their poisonous, I have handled them before with no issues. They just look like your common frog. I don´t like to do fish in cycles, frogs wont be disturbed by the ammonia and I know this because while my pond was just filled with water and static, they were going in there and staying, now I got my media and everything along with the waterfall set up. Would frogs make this happen?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @crayonredd !

I don't know the answer to your question, but I do wonder - how would you make them STAY in the pond?

Post some pictures of your pond - we love pictures!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome!

I have heard of just using ammonia, not sure of the dosage, to help the cycle. Also have heard of some relieving themselves into the pond = ammonia.

Never tried either myself.

Reaction score
Country
Ecuador
The problem here in Ecuador, is that ammonia is not available for purchase. People here make drugs with it so it's not available for me. That's my dilemma, because my resources are limited to cycle the pond water. I am looking at a rather easy way to cycle the pond water without the traditional methods. To answer your question above, it is harder to keep the frogs out of the pond than keeping them in the pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Are you planning to have fish? If so, you could start with a few small fish. And then, some people have been known to pee in their ponds to add ammonia.

Do you have materials to monitor your levels of ammonia, etc? Other than adding fish and hoping for the best, it’s always a good idea to monitor the levels to get an idea where you are in the process. We recommend a liquid, drop test instead of test strips. Liquid test tend to be more reliable, and I would worry that where you are, if you tried to use strips, the humidity might get into the strip bottle.

As @Lisak1 mentioned......tadpoles, maybe, but how are you going to get frogs to stay.....and to be sure they are actually adding ammonia.

Reaction score
Country
Ecuador
My sister in law is bringing back am API liquid pond master kit from the states. She will be back in a couple weeks. So until then I guess I won't know. The frogs always go in the pond without my help. I don't see why it wouldn't work though, they pee and poop in there. Human pee is not recommended in several forums.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'd place some soil from just outside of a pond in your area. Dig a hole where your not getting the water sitting in the pond but when you did the hole you get water almost right away and use that spoil it should have less chance of parasites but be full of bacteria

Ask a Question