sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I wonder if putting it in one of those mesh bags you get onions and stuff in would keep it sturdier and then after a season just lift it out and put a new one under it and a new bag .I know my hanging ones that i store the plants in the basement .I just pull the whole thing out and put a new holder in the wire basket and put the plant with the old holder back in the new holder .Been doing it for years now .

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I tried doing the research but nothing came up re pond use. This is what I'm trying to do and any discussion/ideas would be much appreciated; I didn't design my pond exactly as I should and have always had some liner exposed. I typically just put the floaters in front and the liner is obscured. I'd like something a bit more permanent and beneficial. I have about 2" of exposed linear liner and maybe an inch of vertical. Large boulder rocks line the pond edge and in the past, I've put some soil/clay on the linear portion and rooted some sedums/similar plant. This works okay as they grow and spread a bit, they dangle in the water and obscure the vertical edge as well.

What I was thinking is to use a 'grow mat/surface' that would lay under the boulders, cover the linear portion and out over the edge, drop vertically down and cover the vertical exposed liner as well. Now, I thought about having this grow mat dangle into the pond a couple of inches for two reasons; one to make the transition seamless and to wick moister back up to the plants I'd like to attach to the mat. I was thinking ice plants as they don't need much water and growing on the mat, wouldn't get much anyway.

My question concerns using Coconut Coir as the growing mat in question (but if you have other ideas, please chime in!); would there be any negative chemicals released from the coir back into the pond? I did read some negative comments re growing orchids in coir mulch but am not sure if it would adversely affect what I'm trying to do. I'm using the matting as it will conform (I can cut/mold it) to the irregular shape of my pond edge and I can wire any plants to it fairly easily, hoping they eventually grow and spread on their own.

So, any opinions re this plan? Any better alternatives, other than re-doing the pond and having enough surplus liner back behind the rocks? Next pond, I'll know to do this but this being my first, I wasn't about to drain and yank the liner to better align my design. Just trying to cover and beautify the edges somewhat.

Thanks in advance for any ideas re using Coconut Coir.

Michael

That sounds like a good solution to me
The roots will reach down to get the water

Ask a Question