CRAIG'SLIST -- PRO'S & CON'S?

Reaction score
I've bought and sold things on Craigslist. It's not my favorite thing to do but it came in handy in a recent move. I made sure to always have a friend or my husband home at the time of sale/pick-up. When we listed a bunch of free tile, I described what was in the lot and told them that I would be putting it out on the curb at 9am the next day. I had weird calls/emails all day & night the previous day asking if I could hold it for a few days more or if I delivered. Someone repeatedly asked if I could deliver the tile (sight unseen) for more and more money (up to $200). I kept telling them that I was not going to do that and they kept asking "why?". It was weird. The tile wasn't worth anything close to $200.

At 9am, there was a line of cars at the end of my driveway. That tile disappeared. Unfortunately, people kept arriving all day and were upset that the tile wasn't out like I said it would be. It was a long day but it worked.

If selling, always state "CASH ONLY - NO EXCEPTIONS". You'll still get people wanting you to ship the item after they send you a Money Order (scam).

Reaction score
I have bought and sold a ton of stuff on craigslist with no problems, just yesterday I gave away some free rocks and the guy showed up with his wife and kids, and not only did I get the rocks I no longer wanted hauled off, they also hauled off a big pile of broken pavestones and tree stumps I hauled piled in the driveway to get rid of. I think one thing you need to consider is what it is your selling, or giving away, your giving away free dirt. Its when you try to sell high dollar items or things like smart phones and computers when you need to be really careful.

Reaction score
When I post things on Craigslist, I start with evaluating the emails I receive back. In my posts I always say please respond with your phone number, a good time to call you, and your name. If any of the three are missing, I just delete the email. If someone can take the time to answer all three, I'll call them. I always set it up when hubby is home. 99.9% of the time, people want to come as soon as I call them back. If someone says they want to come in a few days, I tell them to call me back at that time, to confirm the item(s) is still available, and THEN give them directions at that time. Nothing is fool proof, but my experiences with craigslist have all been good. We use it on and off ... the last few things I have listed/sold have been fish, DVD movies, eggs (fresh chicken eggs), a tv and truck ... havent purchased anything for awhile ... bought a SUV for one of the kids last year ...

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
sentrek said:
I have bought and sold a ton of stuff on craigslist with no problems, just yesterday I gave away some free rocks and the guy showed up with his wife and kids, and not only did I get the rocks I no longer wanted hauled off, they also hauled off a big pile of broken pavestones and tree stumps I hauled piled in the driveway to get rid of. I think one thing you need to consider is what it is your selling, or giving away, your giving away free dirt. Its when you try to sell high dollar items or things like smart phones and computers when you need to be really careful.
Next time you have rocks to give away, let me know.

Reaction score
I will keep that in mind. It was amazing how many people replied wanting them. Where I grew up in pa you could get all the rocks you wanted for nothing everywhere, down here if you find one someone trys to charge you $20 For it.. It's a joke.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have sold a bunch of things on Craigs list. One time I sold nice quality model furniture that was used in a condo. We sold out everything in 4 hours. Another time we sold high end brand name furniture and people responded with their full contact info and some even had their own web pages where you could look them up. Another time I sold 8 pool tables to one person that was interested in reselling them. I think pictures and good explanations helps find the right buyers and it instills more confidence for them too because they don't know who they are dealing with either. However it is not always perfect. In the Chicago area there are sometimes stories about people going to buy cars and other items from phony Craig's list ads and getting robbed and shot!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
sentrek said:
I will keep that in mind. It was amazing how many people replied wanting them. Where I grew up in pa you could get all the rocks you wanted for nothing everywhere, down here if you find one someone trys to charge you $20 For it.. It's a joke.
Yeah, folks on here say they answer ads for rocks, or even pick them up on the roadside, all the time. Wish they were that easy to find in this part of the country. Oh, well.....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
LOL! I feel a WHOLE lot better about this now -- thanks to all for the encouraging words & safety tips!

In just over 24 hrs, have had 4 or 5 responses, though haven't contacted anyone just yet.

Oh, and the night I posted, I took the time to cruise around the CL (local) site. I was amazed, shocked, and tickled at some of the postings. Finally had to stop, 'cause I was keeping Hubby awake every time I chuckled at something -- often, it was just the way an ad or a title was worded.....

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
my honey is a craigs list junkie, he has gotten a lot of good car deals off of it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ART777

Latest Threads