CRAIG'SLIST -- PRO'S & CON'S?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We've never used CRAIG'SLIST, but have seen it referenced NUMEROUS times on GPF.

Was talking to Hubby about registering (or whatever it is you have to do). We have a pile of dirt we need to get rid of so we can continue building our bog -- we've used as much of it in and around the yard as we can -- now we just need to get rid of it!

Hubby was concerned about "the kind of people who would show up," but I reminded him it's JUST dirt, and we're NOT selling it....

Anyway, just curious about your experiences and do you have tips that would be helpful?

Reaction score
I have never sold on craigslist but I have bought a few things. I did a Google search of one person and address I was purchasing from and found he was on the sex offended registry. Had that scared me, I wouldn't have gone or would have brought friends. There will be no need for you to interact with someone who is simply picking up dirt so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I sold my hubby's ride on mower on there and posted it 3thousand firm and had people bidding higher and ended up selling it after only 1 day on line for over the 3 thousand .I sold baseball cards and tv's on there also and have bought lots of stuff on there too .Most people are great you meet .Got my chihuahua , puddles on there also .The lady had listed 2 places but wanted to meet you to make sure he went to a good loving home and I hope the spoiled little guy knows that

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ruben Miranda said:
Hello
Have you tried just putting a sign in you front yard free dirt.
I do that around here and people come and take it.

Ruben
No, but afraid if we did that, someone would just help themselves without stopping to ask first. It's not the neighbors I worry about.... Good idea, though.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I like using Craiglist, I've bought and sold several things from craigslist with virtually no issues. In fact I've met two really good friends from purchases I made from craigslist. The fellow I bought my Bobcat from ended up trading with me my small boat and another piece of equipment for a really nice offshore boat. He also cooks for big get togethers and I've worked for him a couple of times for some extra $$. the other built my chicken coop and ended up being a deputy sheriff for the next parish over. he's going to also be building my building for the filter building. I like using craigslist because I can control who I want to sell to and when. I start with email contact and will only give my phone# out once I feel comfortable. If your not 100% comfortable, set up a time for the person coming to get the dirt when your DH and or son are around.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think I get too impatient sometimes......

I just created an account, but in looking over my choices for posting, there isn't one for GIVING AWAY, FREE. Then the next list is of items to check -- is there some way to do a free-form ad? "Dirt" wasn't listed, LOL!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
On the list I use it has both free and farm & garden. Use the items for sale by owner and it will give a listing of catagories.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
I have not sold from there but I have bought things.
But one thing I noticed a lot of people put things like
Text me or if e mail put there number there to make sure it is not a scam.

If you do a sign just put something like knock on the door or something or a time when you are home for pick up.

Ruben

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
OK. Got my dirt listed and have already had 1 inquiry. Guy was asking for location (in the ad I just said SE part of town). So, at what point do you give full disclosure information? I asked if he was interested in the dirt, but guess now I'm a little too paranoid about giving out TOO much info.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Well this is where trust comes in so if a person calls and wants to come and get it you need to give them your address.
Do not post it in the add you will have everyone and there mother at your door trying to sell you something or worse.
Is this dirt in the front yard or do they have to go in to the back yard to get it.
I know it is more work but it is much safer if it is in the front yard.

Ruben

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Creeps me out the number of anonymous enquiries who refuse to pick a day or time to view what is listed on craigslist.

Of those that do pick a time and day, most don't turn up

Just too many low life scumbag thieves out there

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I sell koi on craigslist every year... have had many people come thru my yard, and my basement. made freinds. met many people in my area with ponds. some bring their families. never knew how many people in my own subdivision had ponds till i started selling. i have nothing but good positive experiences in 5 or 6 years. not to mention other ittems i've sold there.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I always make sure I am not home alone if I'm dealing with someone new. If my hubbies at work then I seem to always be on the cell phone with him at the time- he just popped out to the store for a minute- NOT! I have dealt with Craigslist for years and never had a problem with anyone-

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mochosla

Latest Threads