Do you get ice? Fill your pond!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Just a tip for ponding friends who, like me, are anticipating an iced over waterfall and pond - fill your pond! The ice will "consume" way more water than you think and you'll end up with an undefiled pond, a chugging pump, and the need to get a hose out in the freezing temps to add water to the pond. I always try to make sure that the pond is as full as possible before the worst of winter hits us!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thats one major advantage to a negative edge and a cistern. The water level never changes in the pond. But like @Lisak1 said when the pumps are shut down the pond level can drop and when its a block of ice it can make for big troubles. it can move boulders and puncture liners , blow out lights that are in the ice zone.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Just a tip for ponding friends who, like me, are anticipating an iced over waterfall and pond - fill your pond! The ice will "consume" way more water than you think and you'll end up with an undefiled pond, a chugging pump, and the need to get a hose out in the freezing temps to add water to the pond. I always try to make sure that the pond is as full as possible before the worst of winter hits us!
Thanks so much for this tip. First winter for me and I had no idea. Have topped up my little stock tank twice already and will be keeping a close eye on it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
This post is a reminder of what we learned in 8th grade science class, what we thought at that time was useless information. even I thought I have developed a leak and spent hours looking for the water loss. Thank you for the lessons I forgot.

Ask a Question