fish compatibility with GF

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'd like to introduce other types of fish to my pond. I travel frequently and so have avoided Koi so far due to the regular feedings needed. I'm in North NJ in a 6a climate. I seen some people add trout and minnows, or should I just stick with different varieties of GF. I bought a few small shubbies last year, but think they were quickly consumed so that's a concern as well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'd like to introduce other types of fish to my pond. I travel frequently and so have avoided Koi so far due to the regular feedings needed. I'm in North NJ in a 6a climate. I seen some people add trout and minnows, or should I just stick with different varieties of GF. I bought a few small shubbies last year, but think they were quickly consumed so that's a concern as well.
Your info is a bit backwards . Koi and gold fish you can walk away from for months at a time they will nibble on the algae on the rocks. bass and trout need regular feedings.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It's illegal to keep any native species like trout without having a permit to own them. They live in cool water and I would worry that where you are, the water would heat up too much in summer. I'm also in the same zone as you, and my pond can get pretty warm, even though it is shaded all summer. Mine would be too hot for trout.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Your info is a bit backwards . Koi and gold fish you can walk away from for months at a time they will nibble on the algae on the rocks. bass and trout need regular feedings.
Hmm, I've been avoiding koi as I've been informed here that they need to be fed regularly as opposed to GF which don't need much feeding at all. We are sometimes gone for 4-6 weeks at a time and when I started my pond, feeding was my primary concern. My in-laws check on the pond while we're away, just not every day

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hmm, I've been avoiding koi as I've been informed here that they need to be fed regularly as opposed to GF which don't need much feeding at all. We are sometimes gone for 4-6 weeks at a time and when I started my pond, feeding was my primary concern. My in-laws check on the pond while we're away, just not every day
all depends on your pond . is there a nice fuzzy coatig of algae. koi are grazers

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I bought the top dog auto feeder solar powered and everything an i have never used it. I feed the KOI very little if at all and then i get weak, I will throw large pellets at the fish to make sure everyone gets some nutrition.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'll add my 2 cents to this conversation - goldfish can be left on their own in a well established pond forever, but I wouldn't say the same about full grown koi. They will find things to eat, and it may be your prized lilies. They will literally strip your pond of anything edible. Unless we're talking really really HUGE pond - like many thousands of gallons - I think you should either have a plan for feeding koi while you are gone or just stay away from adding koi altogether.

Ask a Question