fish pics

Reaction score
These are my koi and goldfish.

In the first pic the little white koi at the bottom use to have an orange head and large orange spots but now just an orange snout. The little koi in the top corner is colored like a shubunkin but is a koi. The grey koi is one of the two females that spawned this year

The second pic has my two yellow males.

The third shows Clifford with her white scars from the males wedging her into the rocks during spawning. The orange and black koi we call Zippy.

The last pic is the one large koi that wasn't interested in spawning this year and one of the new koi we bought this year.

Attachments

• 100_4610int.jpg
    100_4610int.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 285
  • 100_4615int.jpg
    100_4615int.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 285
  • 100_4607int.jpg
    100_4607int.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 245
  • 100_4618int.jpg
    100_4618int.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 248
Reaction score
The larger white koi with black spots is part butterfly, if that is possible. The fins are longer and thinner than standard fins but it does not quite look like a true butterfly koi, but it might be.

I don't have any butterfly because I have not seen any I like at a price I like. :) All my fish have come from PetSmart and WalMart.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Longer fins can be refered to as Long fin- L/F, butterfly, or Hirenaga. Hirenaga usually are long fins coming from Japan. They don't breed many L/F's over there and most are Hi Utsuri, (Orange and black blotched) and they don't have as long of flowing fins as American breed L/F's. I have a platinum Gin Rin Tancho butterfly (Sliver white with sparkle scales and a orangey red spot on it's forehead) that I bought at walmart, I've seen some at petsmart as well. Just have to stay on the lookout for them. I'lI see afew here and there then won't find any for months then find a few again. My dealer stocks them and are some of his best sellers. I love butterfly koi as they don't seem to grow as fast as regular koi, for some reason don't dig in the plants quite as bad as standard and usually don't get quite as big, Then the flowing fins really add to the overall look of the fish. But I like all fish and your's do look very good and healthy!

Reaction score
I guess the long fin I have is a Bekko variety and does seem less mischievous than the others. The fins are not "fringed" like I see on other butterfly koi.

My five large koi are about 11" long now. I got them last spring and they were 3-4" long. They do grow fast. My husband said they look like buses when they line up side by side in their "cave" we made from two cinder blocks and a large piece of shale on top.

We are in no rush to buy more koi even though I would like more butterfly. Currently we have over 15 fry, goldfish and koi. The koi look exactly like the parents.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
The black and white one in the last pic is the Bekko? I agree that's what it looks like to me. Can't tell from that pic what the fins look like but butterly/Lf's can have smooth fins and frayed fins. My chagoi has very distinct frays, My matsuba how no frays at all
On the cave, instead of cinder blocks if you can find some plastic milk crates they work far better. cinder blacks can cause PH to climb, But my worse issue with them has been the shape edges in the holes actually cutting the fish or removeing scales from being scraped. I took a couple of milk crates and cut some of the sides out so the koi could still swim through them and sanded the edges. gave them more room in the cave. Works great and once a rock is on top you really can't tell the difference. But I sure have seen a decrease in scraps and bruises.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Nova, I am dying here right now. I have a comet that is the twin of your red and white beauty AND I have a yellow koi identical to yours that I call Zipp, too!!!! I can't believe that!!! Gorgeous fish!

Reaction score
lol mouse, that comet is about 5 years old and he is very pretty. The koi is named Zippy because he is so fast and zoomed around the pond constantly when we added him a few months ago.

Fishin, the cinder blocks have been in the pond for over a year and have not had any problems with fish getting hurt or PH, in fact my Ph is a little low.

Reaction score
This is my butterfly that looks like a Bekko, I definitely could be wrong. :)

Attachments

• 100_4766int.jpg
    100_4766int.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 203
  • 100_4770int.jpg
    100_4770int.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 234

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
The black and white is a bekko, the orange one in the second pic is a matsuba, Really nice one from what I can tell. I like the yellow (ki) is it scaled or scaless? Scaled would be a ogon, scaless would be a Ki Doitsu. I had a beautiful Ogon that had a orange speck on it's nose but the owl got it. Now I got a ki Doitsu and it's one fo my favorite standards in the pond.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 230
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Nova. we named ours Zippy for the same reason. We had gotten him and a very pretty yellw white blue irredecent but that one died. Zippy sees me come out on the deck and he comes zipping over. Love these fish!

Ask a Question