Fishy Furniture

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
I have a half barrel planter in the center of my pond, supported on two cement blocks. Makes a nice hidey hole for the goldfish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have a half barrel planter in the center of my pond, supported on two cement blocks. Makes a nice hidey hole for the goldfish.
Is it a real barrel, or just a look-alike? I have a real barrel planter that would be really cool to use, but it seems like it would be risky to stick a bunch of wood in the pond that wasn't specifically meant for that purpose.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I went ahead and made me a fish-cave! This a s a 35 gallon pre-formed pond shell from Home Depot. I used a drill to poke holes into it, for water flow (especially in the top, so that air would be able to escape when I placed it in the water) and then cut out openings for the fish to swim through.

After that, I used waterfall foam to attach rock to the top, the shelf areas, and in the lip at the bottom to weigh the whole thing down and make it look more natural. And plants and a layer of pond sediment, and voila. It's very rewarding to watch my fish swim through it.

1593446246117.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We used large, heavy plastic plant pots and cut them in half from top to bottom and cut out the bottom piece. That left 2 good sized arched pieces that sit flat on the bottom of the pond. The fish use them all the time and seem to like just hanging out in them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
Is it a real barrel, or just a look-alike? I have a real barrel planter that would be really cool to use, but it seems like it would be risky to stick a bunch of wood in the pond that wasn't specifically meant for that purpose.
It's plastic.

Ask a Question