Flying Aquarium / Floating Aquarium - Anyone try it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
So I was on TikTok last night and saw a Flying/Floating aquarium. I have been walking youtube videos all morning on it. I am strangely obsessed with this idea of an area of my pond you could see fish from the side.

Has anyone ever built one of these? Anyone see one? It seams like such a cool concept.

Reaction score
Country
United States
They are cool looking but not practicable. I have seen one indoors but never in a pond. We both live in Florida where the summer sun 'bakes' our ponds. My guess is the thing will get algae coated and cleaning will become burdensome. Not to mention it is a giant heat sink which our ponds don't need in the summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Yeah. I was thinking that it might only be useful for a few months. I thought it might be fun to get the fish visible.

But year, if I do it I’ll absolutely need to bring it in in the summer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Also, you might need to periodically freshen the (O2) water within the dome. I don't think water circulates well in those things. But I agree, it is a great way to see the fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
BTW: I had been thinking of a 15 gallon tall as the fish observatory, but a 10 gallon 20"x10"x12" might be more manageable. Because of my floating water level, it would really only be 8" above the surface... As long as the stand is removable, it seems like one of my less damaging crazy ideas.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
This idea pops up here every now and again. It does seem fun, but as mentioned not terribly practical. There's a commercial version you can buy with a similar idea:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
This idea pops up here every now and again. It does seem fun, but as mentioned not terribly practical. There's a commercial version you can buy with a similar idea:

Thanks. The floating idea also seems fun because I could put it in for a holiday weekend when the pond gets human visitors to enjoy, then remove it for the rest of the time.

The dead frog story had me scared. We do get frogs in the summer. We also have a turtle that moved in that my wife utterly adores. If he swam into the thing and died I think she might leave me. I think she might like the turtle more than me or the kids at this point! :)

Ask a Question