addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Work in progress as they say, I am just following along. Like to understand!.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
addy1 said:
Neat, I was pondering it over to figure out the need lol. Sounds like a type of venturi.

Rather than have the pipe up in the middle, the one sticking up, could it be a closed pipe? or is it to release pressure? Release pressure sounds logical to me.

Yea, kind of a Venturi but not really and kind of just a vent pipe too. LOL

If you close it and you can, it discontinues the areation effect in the bottom. But, I am looking at making a change so it doesn't stick up so high. right now that whole section can be removed to take off the top, I'm Thinking of trying to make it where it will fit closer to the top and possibly fully covered if it's possible.

Reaction score
Ive googled a bit for you, and I cant seem to find those rounded bulkheads in the US either. Then again, they only seem to come in 110mm (4.3") here, that might be too much for you anyway. If not, Id suggest you shoot an email to these guys:
http://www.nikoi.nl/
They dont normally ship outside EU as their parcel service only operates in europe, but perhaps they can send you a batch with a different parcel service if you ask nicely, or tell you their supplier and you can contact them to ask for a US reseller.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
a shower drain...about $6.00 @ Lowes/HomeDepot will easily seal on a barrel.or even easier if your using a trash can.
and yeah the reason for the street T on the down pipe is there to break the syphon effect should your pump stop for any reason. (you dont want the filter backwashing back in the pond) cheaper and more reliable than a checkvalve that can stick or otherwise malfunction....the air being drawn in is merely a nice 'bonus'.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks koiguy that is logical and making sense. Yeah would be the luck to have it full of junk and the electricity goes off and poof all the junk back in the pond.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am thinking out of the box, taking your basic build, using a dedicated external pump, not sure what yet. We have a es3500 sitting, but the flow might be too fast.

Setting up your filter with a lot of grab the junk filtering stuff, even quilt batting on the top maybe.

Using a pool cleaning rod, with the flexible pool hose and a vacuum head, making a pond vacuum.

My shop vac does not do well in the big pond, does fine in the small ponds.

Well just had a brilliant idea! lmao. My skimmer is a pool skimmer, hayward, it has a port to attach a pool cleaning hose to it. (I used my skimmer all the time in arizona to clean my pool)

So now going to plump the skimmer to
a) go to the bog filter,
:D when vacuuming the pond, go to the vacuum filter.
with a pool flexible line and pool cleaning rod, I can walk the bog to vacuum the pond. Hard to vacuum from the uphill side, a 4 foot rock wall down to the pond............darn slope.

Use ball valves to direct the flow where we want it to go. We have a 55 gallon tank sitting in the back shed.

When not cleaning the pond, maybe a once a year cleaning, have the debris filter empty, and just sitting there. Not worried about good bacteria etc, this would just be to collect vacuum junk.

Ask a Question