Goldfish in pond

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Hi, I know someone who had a pond for years and years. In the pond are a lot of fish, I think crucian carps, I will put a photo. There's no equipament like a filter or something, but the fish are living fine, so can I put some goldfish there?

Attachments

• IMG_20160702_121307.jpg
    IMG_20160702_121307.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 210

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Goldfish and Crucian Carp are first cousins. What I would be concerned about is overstocking the pond. You will be artificially altering the fish load and could cause the system's biochemical balance to collapse.

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Goldfish and Crucian Carp are first cousins. What I would be concerned about is overstocking the pond. You will be artificially altering the fish load and could cause the system's biochemical balance to collapse.
But five,six aquarim goldfish would not be a problem, right? Oh and my father says I can't put goldfish in there because they need a lot of oxygen, is that so?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
But five,six aquarim goldfish would not be a problem, right? Oh and my father says I can't put goldfish in there because they need a lot of oxygen, is that so?

5 or 6 goldfish will become 50 or 60 goldfish in the blink of an eye, so consider that. And I don't know what your dad means by "a lot" of oxygen, but maybe he's just trying to dissuade you from what he thinks is a bad idea. No filter is not a problem for goldfish in and of itself, but @Meyer Jordan is suggesting that you consider that the pond, after many years, has achieved a balance that could be easily undone by adding another species of fish that can and will multiply very rapidly.

Tell us more - who is the "someone" who owns this pond? How big is it? How many fish does it already have? Are you considering putting fish in with the owners permission? Or just looking for a place to re-home your goldfish?

Reaction score
Country
Romania
5 or 6 goldfish will become 50 or 60 goldfish in the blink of an eye, so consider that. And I don't know what your dad means by "a lot" of oxygen, but maybe he's just trying to dissuade you from what he thinks is a bad idea. No filter is not a problem for goldfish in and of itself, but @Meyer Jordan is suggesting that you consider that the pond, after many years, has achieved a balance that could be easily undone by adding another species of fish that can and will multiply very rapidly.

Tell us more - who is the "someone" who owns this pond? How big is it? How many fish does it already have? Are you considering putting fish in with the owners permission? Or just looking for a place to re-home your goldfish?
Is a lady I go to from time to time. In that area there are lots of ponds used for fishing. Her pond has many fish that thrived there without filter or feeding, just now she throws some bread, wheat and polenta several times a week. I thought the pond would be nice with some colour, and she agreed if they would not have problems living there. It's pretty wild, there are aquatic plants, several tipes of frogs and toads, dragonflies and I think too much algae. I also thought about kois but I don't think they would survive in a pond without filter. If not goldfish whatelse would live well with the crucian carps in harsh conditions(how I said wild, no filter, algae-water)?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Goldfish (or Koi) should never be released into any waterway. In most countries they are considered either an invasive or a nuisance species.They will quickly crowd out any native species.
If Crucian carp are already present in the pond that you mentioned, the ecosystem is already dominated by this specie and the addition of Goldfish (a very close cousin of Crucian carp) will not cause any further disruption.

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Hi, its me again. These type of goldfish are at my petstore. Would you think they would survive?

Attachments

• 300xNxComet_Goldfish.jpg.pagespeed.ic.THTlqGiMeR.jpg
    300xNxComet_Goldfish.jpg.pagespeed.ic.THTlqGiMeR.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 153

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
comets will survive anything .They are just another breed of goldfish .Now with getting along or surviving with what you have in the pond is another question .I know very little about fish getting along with each other .Maybe some one else can answer that

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I don't know how large your carp will get but I've seen pictures of carp as big as humans.

How big is the pond? I would need the size before I can recommend fish... some are bigger than others. How cold does it get in the winter?

Ask a Question