Goldfish or Koi pond in Alaska?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hey everyone! New to the forum and ponds, however, I have had aquariums for quite a while. I live in Seward, AK and I'm wondering if its warm enough to keep a pond. The average summer temp is only 60 degrees, usually about 70 on sunny days. However, we have mild winters as we are on the coast, the record cold in the winter is only -10 degrees. We get an average of 70" of rain each year so there's quite a few cloudy days. I want to make the pond about 8' x 10' x 3'. If I decide to get Koi though I will make it slightly larger and deeper. I'm basically just wondering if the summer's are warm enough to to keep fish in a pond, also, will insulating the pond help keep it much warmer? My budget is under 1k.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome Ecendres21 :) It sounds like your temps would allow for a pond. We've quite a few members here from cold climates.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks! 60 degrees still seems really cold for goldfish or koi to live in all summer. But I guess they'll just eat less and grow slower? And what about insulation?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome!
How long are your natural ponds frozen over for?
I would recommend goldfish, if you have a number of months that you expect the pond to have ice.
It's less fish waste to deal with and filter out.
Insulating the pond won't make much of a difference. I'm assuming you're thinking of a buried pond, not above ground?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-3-21_5-20-12.gif
@Ecendres21
I too would recommend goldfish. Shubunkin type are one of my favorite's and the oj w/white comets w/the long flowing tails. It's plenty warm enough there for them as they like the cooler waters and you are not too much different weather wise then we are here in Western Washington state. How often do you get those lower temps of -10? We have never gotten that low here tho. -06 is the lowest I remember and that was for just a few days. If you want Koi I'm thinking you will need a much bigger pond as they get huge! People do keep koi here from cold areas that get way lower then your lowest temps. Not me, just goldfish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
If its koi you want then you really need to heat your pond in the winter months or as my friend does living in Fort St John BC which is your side of the country where she gets temperatures of -24c with a wind chill factor of -54c that was costing her koi after koi .
I suggested she move them indoors each winter to her Husbands work shop, the result being koi kept at a constant temperature of 11c throughout the winter meaning she has suffered no more losses to her fish .
This may well be a plan for you to follow .
Cant comment on Goldfish sorry

Dave 54

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
It's doable. Follow our Canadian folk's advise on how to make it work. Covering the pond helps a lot.

Ask a Question