Goldfish Predator Opinions?-Carcass Pics

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Woke up late this morning to find the remains of one of my goldfish. Have not had to deal with predators in quite a while. Familiar with raccoons getting in a pond and stirring everything up while hunting. Designed this with high sides to prevent and no other signs.

Still fairly fresh, moisture running down rock. Seems like a dainty eater, just a few scales scattered around. Inside of carcass cleaned out. Perhaps a cat? Small Hole in side made me think of a bird?

Thanks

Attachments

• Pond_4_2021 006.JPG
    Pond_4_2021 006.JPG
    256.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Pond_4_2021 008.JPG
    Pond_4_2021 008.JPG
    189.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Pond_4_2021 009.JPG
    Pond_4_2021 009.JPG
    229.9 KB · Views: 50

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Update: getting strange here.

Went back out a bit later to cut the grass and I see a crow eating a goldfish in the same spot as the other one which I had thrown into our small patch of woods about 50' from the pond.

I saw my remaining 4 out of 5 goldfish so apparently the crow found the fish and brought it back to the pond. Get done cutting the grass, looking at the pond and see my original 5 out of 5 goldfish. So, apparently the crow got this fish somewhere else and brought it to my pond and an unknown neighbor is missing a fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I wonder if the crow brought it to your pond for a water source while eating it? Do any of your neighbors have ponds?

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I was wondering that. it has been very dry here. I assume someone must have another pond but none I know of close.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It does appear to be a bird. A raccoon or a skunk would have swallowed that one whole. Weird!

We once had some friends over and they were checking out the pond. He says "oh man, looks like you have a dead fish here!" It was a bluegill! Some bird must have snagged it from one of our natural ponds in our neighborhood and dropped it on a fly over!

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Since I have posted this, the remains of two more goldfish have been left by my pond, as well as those of a baby bird. Got a good look at my fish today and all are present and accounted for so someone in the area has lost at least three so far.

In researching crows, it seems they are noted food dippers so they like waterside dining. I imagine something must be scaring them away from the source pond to my nice peaceful backyard. I just hope the locals do not become as accomplished fishers as this fellow or my fish could be in trouble too:

Ask a Question