good web site to buy koi?

Reaction score
Hi all!

Still digging my 500 gallon pond but dreaming of a future when I will add a few goldfish and one koi! My garden center has koi in the "pond section" but they don't look very happy. Since I only have enough room for one koi I want to buy a nice one, and young. Does anyone know of an internet site that sells nice koi? Alternately I am in Maryland so if anyone knows of someplace around here that sells good koi that would be helpful also.

Thanks, Kristina

Reaction score
I have bought from:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=900+1489

and on ebay:

http://myworld.ebay.com/nextdaykoi/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

Both were excellent suppliers of quality fish. I bought 12 from the first one in March and still have all 12.

I bought 28 from the ebay one and am missing one, but the ones that I can see every day are all doing fine with the exception of one. He's alive and as far as I know healthy, but he's acting a little strange. It could be nothing, or he could be dying, not sure, but 1 out of 28 is pretty darn good.

Reaction score
There are a few i have visited and bought from..one in hanover pa, one in gettysburg, one in thurmont and there is a store in centerville pa but haven't bought pond stuff from them yet...and i'll keep my ears open

Reaction score
There are a lot of good Koi growers in Maryland. Doesn't get much better than being able to pick a fish in person and talk with the grower. Car ride is easier on the fish too.

Reaction score
I think I want to retract my statement about Next Day Koi on eBay. 2 have died since I posted and I believe they killed one of my older ones. Not sure, but it feels like something that came in with the new fish, so I guess try them, but make sure to quarrantine.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I think it's better to buy 2. I think he/she will be lonely. When I have bought fish I've always noticed that they're happier when more than 1 and the ones that come together seem to stick together more.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I've been very satisfied with NDK on Ebay. Other than the one fish that arrived in poor shape and they refunded my money on all the others I have had no issues with unless you consider predator bird attacks bad. They didn't care if they came from the Koi farm, the pet store or ebay. they all tasted good to the birds.

Reaction score
Dang, if they taste so good maybe I should be eating them instead of putting them in the garden...

Reaction score
Hi Everyone and thank you for your warm welcome and advice.

In responce to some suggestions... I would like to get 2 koi but I thought that in 500 gallons that might be pushing it. What is the general concensus on gallons per length of fishy?

:goldfish:Thanks, Kristina

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
That should be fine for a couple small/medium koi for awhile. From what I've seen from most people in this forum (including myself) by the time they get bigger You will probably want to expand to a larger pond anyways. :D

Reaction score
I would think 500g would be too small for even 1 adult koi, but you have a couple of years to build a bigger one. I would probably do at least 700 or 800.

Ask a Question