Great Koi Roundup 2017

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
And now, it's time for the "Great Koi Round Up 2018 " in my pond this Sunday !! This year I'm going to try to work smarter, not harder - LOL. I'm not going to waste my energy getting in the pond and trying to catch babies, till the pond water is very low ! I've enlisted hubbies help and since he's an early riser, he'll start draining the pond before sun rise!

I've spoken with the owner of the plant nursery I released my babies into last year, and she said it's fine to do it again this year. She warned me there are large fish in the pond, so they may get eaten, but I feel like they have a fighting chance in a beautiful lotus and lily filled pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well after my disaster last fall. I have learned less is better......I have ten koi....in 3000 gallons......they have prospered this summer and they are huge.....with my bio filtration and plants I have in the pond......almost zero ammonia and nitrates.....ph stayed perfect all summer....I now have ten perfect fish.....I have watched them at length.....not a belimish on them......so all that being said I know next spring I will have babies......but not going through it again.....I will put a predator fish in my pond.....probably buy a single Texas Chichlid, they will survive a zone 7 winters.....I know this sounds hard hearted to some people......but my pond is at its "Happy Place ".... Not going to risk last fall again.....Jimmy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Well after my disaster last fall. I have learned less is better......I have ten koi....in 3000 gallons......they have prospered this summer and they are huge.....with my bio filtration and plants I have in the pond......almost zero ammonia and nitrates.....ph stayed perfect all summer....I now have ten perfect fish.....I have watched them at length.....not a belimish on them......so all that being said I know next spring I will have babies......but not going through it again.....I will put a predator fish in my pond.....probably buy a single Texas Chichlid, they will survive a zone 7 winters.....I know this sounds hard hearted to some people......but my pond is at its "Happy Place ".... Not going to risk last fall again.....Jimmy

I don't think you're hard hearted. Some of us have ponds prone to population explosions....I have no idea why Mother Nature doesn't balance out the fish load in my pond....but she doesn't ! LOL

My pond is at it's Happy Place, with 4 koi in 1700 gallons. I don't know anything about a Texas Chichlid.....I'm assuming they eat eggs and small fry? I'm in a colder zone then you, so not sure it would survive here or not.

I had a discussion with someone who once said to put a blue gill in the pond, but then I heard someone else say they also pester the adult koi. I'm also very afraid of adding any fish into my pond without extensive QT, which I don't have.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Lol......mine was last year.....which due to our kind heart.....even though we gave 47 away....we had too many and that caused our disaster....but That being said Texas Chichlid would not survive as far north as you are.....Back in my aquarium days I went through a lot of chiclids.....never bought a Texas Chichlid because of their reputation....they are mean.....ill tempered.....but they are hunters and voracious eaters.....don't think it would bother the Koi.....I would kinda like it to survive our winters.....if not I would buy a couple of small Oscar's and let them die in the winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I will have to say.....Sarah went to visit a friend that we gave some of last year's babies to....but they are huge.....and it's amazing how much the colors have changed.....a couple are rather subdued.....but one of them is spectacular....I said can I have that one back.....Nope......never can tell how they are going to turn out.....lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've got two I'm anxious to see up close when I catch them, they look beautiful......but I will NOT be keeping them!

Last year I had 47 survivors. This year it looks like less, but you never know....tune in Sunday evening for the results!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
47 seems to be the magic number between you two @Tula and @Jimmy Gibson !

I wonder about people who think it's cruel to allow nature to take it's course. Imagine the world if there were no predators and prey. Not to mention the fish we buy for their attractive colors or appearance were chosen to survive while hundreds of others are culled for being less than "prefect" for whatever reason.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I had the population explosion of goldfish this year. No clue how many, too many!

Attachments

• ECF70A8A-7D2F-40AB-91FB-6127A7BFF4AB.jpeg
    ECF70A8A-7D2F-40AB-91FB-6127A7BFF4AB.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 101
  • BDF976F4-6E18-4182-BE85-01BE4FE99366.jpeg
    BDF976F4-6E18-4182-BE85-01BE4FE99366.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 98
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States

I wonder about people who think it's cruel to allow nature to take it's course. Imagine the world if there were no predators and prey. Not to mention the fish we buy for their attractive colors or appearance were chosen to survive while hundreds of others are culled for being less than "prefect" for whatever reason.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States

Hmmmm, we both had 47, but I only have 4 fish :eek: LOL

Ask a Question