Great Stuff vs Waterfall Foam

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
so I’m redoing part of the stream & one of my falls and on my trip to Menards (like Home Depot etc) I saw Great Stuff on sale when I went to look for their Waterfall Foam. Has anyone used this instead of waterfall foam? I haven’t had a chance to check the ingredients for both on their website yet to see if they are virtually the same product minus a black die & about $5 a can.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup - just press some gravel, gravel dust, or sand into the surface as it dries to conceal it. I like the waterfall foam because I tend to be messy, but if you're careful you won't have much to disguise.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
And a while back someone mentioned that the GREAT STUFF company does make a black version for ponds. I looked it up a while back, but don’t know if they still make it. It might be something that you have to order.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've found the pond formula (black) great stuff at Ace Hardware for about $9.00. Chemically I don't know if it's any different than the other Great Stuff products, but they advertise it as being fish and plant safe, and formulated for long term contact with water.

I've used the other Great Stuff formulas for dozens of applications around the home and in our campers, as well as during our cabin build. I have noted that the tan stuff, when exposed to exteriors, does tend to discolor and get brittle, even after a short period of time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've found the pond formula (black) great stuff at Ace Hardware for about $9.00. Chemically I don't know if it's any different than the other Great Stuff products, but they advertise it as being fish and plant safe, and formulated for long term contact with water.

I've used the other Great Stuff formulas for dozens of applications around the home and in our campers, as well as during our cabin build. I have noted that the tan stuff, when exposed to exteriors, does tend to discolor and get brittle, even after a short period of time.

UPDATE: I have attempted using the Great Stuff pond formula on our current waterfall build, and I am finding it's not so great! Having made sure the surfaces were clean and dry, and using the product as directed with ample curing time....I'm finding that it's worthless. It expands like crazy, but does not stick well at all. On our last build I used the "Smartpond" brand that we found at Lowes, and it was excellent. Very sticky, great expansion, and worked the very first time. I wanted to use it for this build, but Lowes quit carrying it, and that's how I came upon the Great Stuff at Ace.... So far I've wasted nearly $20 in two attempts to seal our falls. It looks like I'll have to pull it out (again), and mail order to get a better product.

I hope this information helps anyone interested.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Shoot, I just bought 4 cans of black great stuff from Ace Hardware for my waterfall that is about a month from construction. Still working on the pond. I guess I will be returning it on my next trip.
Anyone had a good experience with this product?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Shoot, I just bought 4 cans of black great stuff from Ace Hardware for my waterfall that is about a month from construction. Still working on the pond. I guess I will be returning it on my next trip.
Anyone had a good experience with this product?
Yep. I'm returning my remaining can of it.

Ask a Question