Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I do not understand this statement.
I think I understand what he meant.

My bog at first, the water flow over the rocks (only about 1 inch). I found that only a few type of plant can tolerate the water flow constantly (they grow, just not great, die a lot). So I put more rocks in. I put more rocks in from the end of the bog, the first foot, I only need to use a few bags to cover the 1 inch of water, but when I added the second foot, the water level rise on the first section that I already put in the gravel (so instead of 1 inch of gravel for both section, it's 1.5 inches of gravel for both section). So I had to add 2x the gravel. Keep going to the third section, that also made the water level rise in the first two sections so I had to add more gravel in all the sections.... Basically, I thought i only need to add 1 inch of gravel, I ended up having to add about 4 inches of gravel, to only half of the pond because if i cover the pond with more gravel, the water level keep rising and it'll be higher than the pond liner.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

My bog at first, the water flow over the rocks (only about 1 inch). I found that only a few type of plant can tolerate the water flow constantly (they grow, just not great, die a lot). So I put more rocks in. I put more rocks in from the end of the bog, the first foot, I only need to use a few bags to cover the 1 inch of water, but when I added the second foot, the water level rise on the first section that I already put in the gravel (so instead of 1 inch of gravel for both section, it's 1.5 inches of gravel for both section). So I had to add 2x the gravel. Keep going to the third section, that also made the water level rise in the first two sections so I had to add more gravel in all the sections.... Basically, I thought i only need to add 1 inch of gravel, I ended up having to add about 4 inches of gravel, to only half of the pond because if i cover the pond with more gravel, the water level keep rising and it'll be higher than the pond liner.

This indicates that your flow rate (gph) feeding the "bog" is too high.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
This indicates that your flow rate (gph) feeding the "bog" is too high.

I think that's correct. I've been using only 1 pump now for a few months (since the discussion about wetland water treatment flow rate a while ago) that pump is about 4000 gph (my pond is about 3000 gallon) the other pump is about 3000gph. since then, I think i've seen a lot less algae. I contributed that to my bog plants growth, but it could be because of reduce flow rate too.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
In all the bog builds I have looked at, the water is BELOW the level of the gravel, not the other way around. Not saying either is more or less correct, but since there are plants that prefer their crowns ABOVE the water, I prefer not to have any water above the gravel -- well, I have to correct that statement as my bog is also a water source for my box turtles, so I have to have a "pool" in the middle for their watering hole -- but the part with the plants has gravel built up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States

Yep more gravel I add the more the water level goes up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
In all the bog builds I have looked at, the water is BELOW the level of the gravel, not the other way around. Not saying either is more or less correct, but since there are plants that prefer their crowns ABOVE the water, I prefer not to have any water above the gravel -- well, I have to correct that statement as my bog is also a water source for my box turtles, so I have to have a "pool" in the middle for their watering hole -- but the part with the plants has gravel built up.

At first when I designed I think people say they have some pool and not every place water is below the gravel. I dont have s slope to my bog to stream so it's a bit hard to make the bog higher than the stream. At first the water is about only a little over but over time with plants and algae, water level raised. I had to take out my waterfall (connecting bog to stream) so the water goes out easier but it was still high so I had to reduce my flow rate (turned off one pump). So now with the added gravel (only half the bog) and use only 1 pump, the part I added the gravel has water running under the gravel. But if i use 2 pumps, water will be higher.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I'm gonna have to down grade that pump I guess.. and I'll probably need to upgrade my filter pump mmm.

Here are the latest bog pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_7076.JPG
    IMG_7076.JPG
    278.4 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_7077.JPG
    IMG_7077.JPG
    267.8 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_7079.JPG
    IMG_7079.JPG
    285.8 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_7080.JPG
    IMG_7080.JPG
    292.8 KB · Views: 154
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
can you increase the size of the waterfall? open it up so the water can go through faster would help too.

Ask a Question