HAVE A HAPPY HOLIDAY WEEKEND

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
addy...me too!..me too!....as far as the fish go. its like the muck on the bottom that some folks say is fine, because the levels of toxic gases let off wont kill the fish. it may not kill them in the short term but the possbilities in long term exposure could cause accumalative damage. and just because theyre still alive doesnt mean theyre are healthy...i know i wouldnt want to go thru life never feeling as good as i could... those darned kids...you give them direct orders...stay away from the pond, leave the rocks alone , no throwing them in the pond, etc...they all say "OK, we wont"...10 minutes later theyre all doing it!!...the rocks made me upset...then the bubbbles...UUUGGGHHH!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You need kid proof coverings, no liquid or solid can enter the pond, when you have company.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Wow I hate that for you koi guy. I'm still definitely in the learning mode but even to my novice level I knew soap in pond might not b good.

What reason would you put salt in pond?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
people salt a pond for several reasons...raises the level of electrolites and trace minerals in the water. it helps slow alge growth. it kills parasites. it stimulates a good healthy stress coat on the fish which is their top defence against external bacterial, and parastic infection

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I do remember reading in a thread about salt. Is that something that is done annually?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i used to salt in both ponds....15% outside and .3% inside. these ratios are due to plants. the lower .15% ooutside because fresh water plants have a much lower tolerance to salt than the fish. inside pond .3% because theres no plants there. i kept the salt levels. replacing the lost salt when water changes were done.

Ask a Question