Have decided to take this seriously

Reaction score
Hallo. About 15 years ago I had the inspired idea of turning a V1 bomb crater in my garden into a pond, and a friend who was heavily involved with aquatics kindly did the donkey work and produced a pond of about 150 feet x 40 feet, with a maximum depth of about 5 feet. Two pumps were put in, one at each end, but one no longer works

For many years I did very little with it, other than to occasionally battle the bullrushes that threatened to take over the whole thing, but otherwise I simply admired it, especially the lillies that covered it every summer. A friend put a few fish into it (we think roach and perch) and it is also home to half a dozen moorhen and about thirty ducks; a heron is usually hanging around too and occasionally a grebe

In the last couple of years the lillies have disappeared, the bullrushes are no longer so thick and the water too is looking very murky, so I have decided to engage with your online community to try to discover what may be going on. I suspect the ducks, since their numbers have increased enormously during that time and they are the only variable that I can identify

Anyway, here I am!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome post some pictures will be neat to see. I am sure some here will be able to help you out.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum
A bomb would be a easier way to make a hole :LOL:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
DrCase said:
Welcome to the forum
A bomb would be a easier way to make a hole :LOL:

LOL no kidding, a lot easier than digging. Love the size of that pond.

Reaction score
Oh my. I have pond envie here. Can't wait for pics.

Wish I could have used a bomb. So much easier than all that digging.

Reaction score
What a pleasant site this is, people welcome you, things work, quite wonderful!

Not sure if I should now leave this Introductions section in order to ask some specific questions, but perhaps someone will tell me. I have posted some pictures in an album, I thought Bomb Crater Pond would be the best title, and now wonder if anyone can suggest reasons/remedies for (a) my disappearing lillies (B) the receding bullrushes and (c) the poor water quality. I'm afraid my hopeless arithmetic doesn't permit me to tell you how many gallons of water are in the pond, but hopefully the dimensions will give you a clue

My best guess is that the ducks, of which there seem to be more every year, are eating the lillies underwater, but is that a realistic explanation?

I will be unpopular with my family if it is suggested that I shoot the ducks

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
We have many other threads that you can post on. Feel free to find the one that fits your topic best and go for it.
So I guess Peking Duck is out LOL

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
wow what a lovely pond or rather more like a lake !!i do love your geese are they friendly ??
might be the bull rushes have become over crowded .. dont really know about the lilies maybe you should try planting new i think maybe like everything else they cant live for ever ...but that is one lovely pond :0)

Ask a Question