Hello all! Have some questions with an old setup

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
As others have state, growth on your liner is good. You want that. It helps with filtration.

UV lights are one of those subjects where you'll get two opinions. Some swear by them and some feel they may also kill some of the good bacteria. Some say whatever dies becomes food for new algae to feed on. If your water is clear, your plants are doing a great job and you might not need the UV. You'll have to decide. You can turn it off for a while and see what happens or just leave it on. 9 watts on your electric bill is not going to break the bank.

Hey

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is the correct formula. Have you figured how many gallons you have?

At the moment no. I may need to get one of those measuring sticks for a precise measurement of the depth. That is unless you have an easier way.

Hey

Reaction score
Country
United States
As others have state, growth on your liner is good. You want that. It helps with filtration.

UV lights are one of those subjects where you'll get two opinions. Some swear by them and some feel they may also kill some of the good bacteria. Some say whatever dies becomes food for new algae to feed on. If your water is clear, your plants are doing a great job and you might not need the UV. You'll have to decide. You can turn it off for a while and see what happens or just leave it on. 9 watts on your electric bill is not going to break the bank.

As far as the skimmer goes. It clogs up rather quickly. Usually two or 3 days. Is this the norm or do you think I may just need a new bigger skimmer. The one I have is pretty old. The bricks in top of it are so the skimmer wont flip over.

Ask a Question