Hello all! Have some questions with an old setup

Hey

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have an old pond that I've recently decided to get going again. Along with trying to research the old brand aqua-pure by pond wise, I think I pretty much have got it going. I just notice that I'm cleaning the skimmer every other day. The pump I'm using is the little giant w95. Its the more powerful of the other two that they sell. I also purchased a tetra pond UV light but have not seen any results. Not sure if maybe I needed a more powerful one. Suggestions would be grateful for what could be going on with skimmer and UV light. The UV light is the 9 volt from what I remember.

Hey

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is a picture of my set up

Attachments

• 20200504_185820.jpg
    20200504_185820.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 100

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome, Hey! Looks like you have a great start with those plants, the lily is impressive. Hard to tell from the pic-are you fighting green water with the UV? What do you have for fish in there?

Hey

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, the water is clear now but there are some algae stuck on the sides. Is the UV light for clearing water or killing algae? As far as fish go, goldfish that are black and gold, koi, butterfly koi, and some guppies. All are doing rather well. Have you ever heard of the brand of the setup I have?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1588801431072.gif
@Hey
The short carpet type algae on the sides and bottom of the pond is a good thing.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group. The side and bottom algae that grows is good like @j.w said.

Watch you water quality as the koi grow, they make lots of waste and need a lot of water room. Rule of thumb is 1000 gallons for one koi. They get huge!

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
The UV kills algae and bacteria suspended in the water flowing through it not in the pond itself. With that good plant growth, I would be surprised if you have much of an issue going forward barring a serious imbalance, like addy1 mentioned with the koi.

Sorry, have never heard of that brand. Lots of generic type brands come and go over the years. If you are lucky it might be a rebadged name brand with similar parts but even then lots of stuff goes obsolete.

Hey

Reaction score
Country
United States
The UV kills algae and bacteria suspended in the water flowing through it not in the pond itself. With that good plant growth, I would be surprised if you have much of an issue going forward barring a serious imbalance, like addy1 mentioned with the koi.

Sorry, have never heard of that brand. Lots of generic type brands come and go over the years. If you are lucky it might be a rebadged name brand with similar parts but even then lots of stuff goes obsolete.

ok, so I think the tetra pond uv light that you see in the picture is a good enough wattage. If I can, I'll find out what the previous wattage was used in the old setup. As far as brands go, I hope so lol

Hey

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to our group. The side and bottom algae that grows is good like @j.w said.

Watch you water quality as the koi grow, they make lots of waste and need a lot of water room. Rule of thumb is 1000 gallons for one koi. They get huge!

so measuring gallon size is length x width x depth x 7.5?

Hey

Reaction score
Country
United States
Attached is another picture. I tried getting the green carpet algae but the reflection of the water didn't help. At least it has a mirror finish lol

Attachments

• 20200506_170101.jpg
    20200506_170101.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 95

Hey

Reaction score
Country
United States
the slower water goes through the uv the better it will work

In this case, my pump may be too strong. Unfortunately since it works, I won't be getting a new one only after this one goes out. Maybe I could slow it down by adding another hose to it since it does have two outlets.

What would be the reason why I have to clean the skimmer every two days or so? Is it maybe too small for my pond size?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can use a diverter on the hose that just allows some of the water to go into the pond and the extra aeration on the bottom will help keep the pond cleaner

Hey

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can use a diverter on the hose that just allows some of the water to go into the pond and the extra aeration on the bottom will help keep the pond cleaner
It's a good idea. But with everything in place already it may be easier just attaching another hose to the extra outlet on pump. Since there will be two hoses, could I just make another filter stage area?

Ask a Question