Hi All. New member here...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Started this obsession.. er, I mean journey into ponds around 2007. At least that is when I started digging.

IMG_0006.jpg

No idea what I was doing, I just started digging...

Hole sat there till the winter of 2014 when I started doing something with it.
2014_10_26_11_35_43.jpg

Now, spring is just about to pop and the plants are showing signs of life again (so are the weeds, unfortunately).

now.jpg

Looking forward to seeing what everyone here brings to the table and learning more about this obsession I fell into. ;)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! Nice looking hole!

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Love your pond. How many gallons is it?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
How many and what kind of fish do you have .You are teasing us ,we want to see more

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
How many and what kind of fish do you have .You are teasing us ,we want to see more

Thanks to all for the kind words!

At first, I was going to forgo fish till the pond matured but necessity required keeping mosquito larva down till I could get back to working on the pond, so I popped around 10 comets in there (Horray for 10 cent fish!). You can kinda see the orange in the top right of the bottom tier. That's rainwater after a quick April storm. Entire surface was a wiggling mess.

pre.jpg

Not too long after this picture they had babies but a blue herring wiped out 20+ fish in the fall. Now, there are 11 comets, three shubunkin and a Chinese high fin banded shark (sorry, no picts on the PC I'm on right now). Oh, frogs and tadpoles abound. Hatched somewhere around a thousand about a month ago, now there are about 100 larger ones roaming around (pict below is from 3/9/16).

polls.jpg

Future plans are for more shubunkin and a couple more sharks, maybe a couple of otehrs, depends... right now I'm waiting for the plants to kick in before worrying over the string algae that's been a never ending story. Small steps.

Ask a Question