Hi all

Reaction score
That is a really beautiful pond. I am new here too but am so glad I found this forum. Your pond water is stunning, fish too. Welcome..... hope to see more pictures.

Reaction score
Shard MacD and j.w
thanks for the welcome. I'am glad i found this forum too.. already found usefull tips etc.
My pond water is clear NOW a few days ago it was not so. When i start up the waterfall the water get very cloudy - so i added POND CLEAR from oase.
Its the ONLY thing i add to the pond. After adding this the pond clears up with in an hour and stays clean.

Reaction score
thanks Shard MacD but i wont be entering any photo competitions
pond plants are starting to grow so when thats in full swing - will take some photos.
hows your pond clearing? I really like your pond, like the size and form, are you up-dating with photos as you go along?

Reaction score
Hi Bev12
its been a slow process but yes my water is clearing. It is not pea soup any more slightly green from the algae on the bottom and sides that my fish are eating, and tadpoles. Finally saw one (tadpole) yesterday, looking good. I will post some more pictures when I get a few more plants in and around it.
When I was emptying the old pond to replace the liner 1 fish stranded himself on a ledge. My husband thought he caught it in time and put him back in the water, but unfortunately the other fish were picking at him (poor guy). I decided to rescue him, put the poor beat up creature in a large bucket that was holding some of my plants. He seems to be doing ok, refreshed his water and gave him a salt bath yesterday. They had bit off part of his tail fin, I'm hoping it will grow back. I feel bad for him cause he hates being alone, sad really. I wonder if I should have just let him dye? Time will tell I suppose.
Thank you about liking the pond..... :wink:

Reaction score
Hi
Shard MacD
Good that you managed to rescue the fish, if he still dies- then so be it -but you tried. You could buy him a small goldfish to keep him company untill he is fit enough to return to the others along with his new friend.

I have a "just in case " 500liter raised pond with a filter for just this kind of events - had to rescue one of of the female fish for a day and then returned her to the others. I have 2 little baby golfish (bought) in there now until the autum and then they will be added to the pond for the winter.

Why do you all use salt in the pond - never heard of it before (books etc ) thought goldfish were fresh water fish?
Your pond IS nice and I am not just saying so, I realy do like it. When the plants in and around start to grow it makes a huge difference.
Maybe you should shade the pond a bit - less algae

Reaction score
Here is a link about pond salt, I do not add a lot, probably 1/2 as mush as is suggested. http://www.ehow.com/facts_7640668_much-salt-needed-fish-pond.html Many people do not use salt, and it is not table salt or sea salt.

Yes I know what you mean about shade. Unfortunately we started this pond on a whim (you might say) and did all the wrong things to begin with. So we must live with the consequences, I suppose we could build a cover of some sort over it. Have thought about that..... Just walking up to the Country Garden store to get some water hyacinth, should help shade. Also want some oxygenators.

There are some smaller fish in the pond (last years babies) and I did think about putting 1or 2 in with the hurt and lonely one???

I think I will get some pictures later today and post..

Reaction score
look forwards to seeing the photos and thanks for the link, will look into it.
Do have waterlilies in the pond they cover a large amount surface area for shade

Reaction score
Shard I have one of those poor babies that got picked on, to the point her tail fell off :( She was a beautiful long tail shubbie, broke here side fins and everything! She is in the small pond with 'The Fat Ones' and doing much much better! Her fins have healed and she can swim 100x better than she could, before she had trouble staying upright :( Those bad koi! But tis' nature, survival of the fittest and all lol. Both of your ponds are gorgeous! Was wondering Bev, is that limestone you used or some sort of Churt? Love all the stone work did you do it your self?

Reaction score
Thank You fishylove, talk about gorgeous ponds... wow yours is beautiful.... going back into your photos and look some more. How long has your fish been healing? Been about 2 weeks now for mine. It's nice to know his tail fin might grow back.

Reaction score
Hi Fishylove
No we didnt build the pond - we have some constructor do it. The stones are just normal granit stones that were cut inot blocks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bikmann

Latest Threads