hi all,

Reaction score
hi all,
my name is tracey... im new to this site and just thought i'd say hello and ask for some advice... as although i've had a pond now for 18 months - 2 yrs.... although it has grown twice now... i dont actually know an awful..lol .... i started off with a small square pre-formed one approx 3ft x 4ft... then i went bigger lol to another pre-formed one sort of in the shape of great britain...so approx 11ft x 4ft at one end x 1ft at the other end (i hope that makes sense..lol) anyway ive now gone bigger again... this time with a liner and its now approx 12ft x 5ft square & about 2-3 ft deep, could anyone please tell me what size pump should i have... the reason im asking is my waterfall is more of trickle than a waterfall lol and im not sure if this is to do with the size of the pump or the fact that the pipe from the filter box to the waterfall is approx 4 meters long so really my question is do i need to shorten the distance between the filterbox and the waterfall or possibly get a more powerful pump.... sorry to have gone on a bit just thought id try to put as much in as possible to give you an idea.... thank you in advance for any advice...tracey x

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Your waterfall should be located at opposite ends of pond from the pump to create a circulation . How big is the ponds volume? What kind of filter are you using? Your pond water volume should be circulated thru your filter 1 to 2 times an hour .for turnovers closer to twice an hour a larger filter is good idea.. (actually its a great idea anyways to utilize more filtration)..so if your pond is 1000 gallons, a 1000 gph pump is really the minimum pump size you want. Past that how do you want your falls to look?

Reaction score
hi there, thank you for replying,....as i said i dont really know a great deal about the technical side of ponds (but ive managed to maintain it for nearly 2 years and keep fish alive :). I dont know what the volume is.. pond measures 12ft long x 5ft wide and 3ft deep, this is the way i have it set up... pump is in the water....a hose goes from pump to uv light....then a hose goes from uv light to filter box.... then a hose goes filter box to waterfall....the pump is located in the centre of the pond the filterbox is at 1 end of the pond and the waterfall is at the other end of the pond... this works to keep water clear.... and i have water tested regulary and its always good... the only problem i have is the waterfall..the water just trickles rather than coming out fast.... just not sure if i need a more powerful pump or need to move the waterfall nearer to the filterbox.... thanks tracey

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
well if everything is working well for you, why disturb it.. buy a second pump to run directly to your falls to increase its flow, it will still increase your circulation to boot. simple as putting a tee in the hose that goes to the falls, and tapping a new hose into it from the new pump..and you can install a new filter in this line down the road if needed!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum
You never said what size or kind your pump was .
Like koiguy said ..a extra pump..or a bigger more energy saving one with more flow might be what you need for your show

Reaction score
hi all, thank you all for your advice.... i have got another pump and am running the waterfall of that and its now flowing ok.. here is a pic of my pond :) its still a bit murky as there was lots of mud lol... but hopefully that will clear soon and the fish will have a nice new pond

Attachments

• PRAM 105.jpg
    PRAM 105.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 267
  • PRAM 106.jpg
    PRAM 106.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 206

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nice looking pond Tracey.........I like the little wooden fence and all your rocks.......it all looks so El Naturel and the little boy peeing :)

Reaction score
hi j.w, thank you so much.... to be honest the little fence was the only way i could hide the edging of the liner... but i'm happy with the way its turned out.... i just need to get a few plants for around the edges etc and fix all my lawn that ive ruined whilst doing the pond lol. then nice relaxing days in the sun....:)
ps the peeing boy was my hubby's adition x

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest Threads