Hi from Manchester

Reaction score
Hi just joined the forum and I think the site is great learned loads already. My pond is new, it was at the bottom of the garden but I didn't get much pleasure from it as the garden is so long, now it is just outside the conservatory door and I love it.
This one is much bigger and I had to replace the pump and filtration system,at the moment I am still running the old one alongside the new, the water is lovely and clear and there appears to be plenty of oxygen, now my hubby wants to take the old system out and give it to a friend of his but I think it should stay, I am afraid the water quality won't be as good if it is taken out, what do people think?
:profile:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
any time you remove filtration, your water quality will decrease...but that doesnt mean it will be of any significance. we dont know what you had, what you got new, or how long the new has been up and running. so i can only say, keep your old untill you know the new is active and thriving with good bacteria, or at least enough to keep up with its current bioload being fed it. dids you jump start the system with beneficial bacteria? how long has the new system been operational? if he insists on giving it away, put some ofthe media from the old in the new for a few days.. or swap some out if possible!! just because a filter is newer doesnt neccessarily mean better either. give details..

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If the new system is sufficient for the size of your pond, there is no reason to run both. If you object, are you informed enough to make this assessment?

Reaction score
We were using a filto clear 1100 with an 800 watt pump but for a much smaller pond, I now have a pond 16ft by just under 10ft and have a 25gall/114ltr Yamitsu black box with a 1600 watt pump and a 55 watt uv light, the water is now lovely and clear and the water tests are spot on and I don't want to disrupt anything, also my hubby is a carp fisherman and thinks i'm too soft he seems to think that Koi are as tough as a common carp but i'm not so sure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest Threads