sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
But remember addy yours is over your septic tank and they use the heat from the septic tank to heat a house these days ,not sure how good that is for your septic tank .Gosh they even wrap those pipes around swimming pools to heat houses .I saw the whole show on DIY network and it was on the show This New House and you can go on there sight and they explain it all .The ground around your septic tank and lines going into it produce heat ,that is if your septic tank is working right .Your pond could be warmer down below as you have no pumps on to cool it down there .That could explain why your fish are so active in you video's ,there as happy as clams

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
But remember addy yours is over your septic tank and they use the heat from the septic tank to heat a house these days ,not sure how good that is for your septic tank .Gosh they even wrap those pipes around swimming pools to heat houses .I saw the whole show on DIY network and it was on the show This New House and you can go on there sight and they explain it all .The ground around your septic tank and lines going into it produce heat ,that is if your septic tank is working right .Your pond could be warmer down below as you have no pumps on to cool it down there .That could explain why your fish are so active in you video's ,there as happy as clams

The big pond is not near the septic Sissy, just one of the little stream ponds. The stream is not running at this time. The septic line is running above water level along maybe 2 feet of the edge of the big pond.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yeah but then later it was 45 bottom 36 surface, wandering all over, full sun and warm today

Reaction score
I use a digital with a remote sensor for the bottom of the pond. At first I used a floating thermometer that I tied some metal to so it would sink. When it was below freezing and I would pull it out even tho I immediatley looked at it you could see the temp dropping. So thats when I decided I needed something that I could just leave in the pond.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not that concerned about it, just was curious after the chat about temp and aerators going. I have a huge areator running, and still show temp difference between the top and bottom. The difference is more signaficant when the sun has been out, the floating liners seem to heat up the pond, nice and "warm" under liner at the bottom.

Reaction score
I also have a huge areator for my pond so thats why I was concerned about the temp in the pond. Montana can get really cold. Not this year tho! LOL We had to really tone it down cause a lot of water was moving.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
It was 52 here in IL today, and 54 predicted for tomorrow, but then 27 tomorrow evening and only getting up to 31 on Thurs. Darn! I have everything running, so hoping that it won't freeze before weekend, but supposed to climb back to the 40's come weekend. See Saw action here, too, but I'm loving it! I have not checked water temps, as brought thermometer into house in the basement pool/pond. That is staying at a cool 58 degrees.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I also have a huge areator for my pond so thats why I was concerned about the temp in the pond. Montana can get really cold. Not this year tho! LOL We had to really tone it down cause a lot of water was moving.

It is moving the one end of the pond quiet well, but the end the fish hang out seems to be calmer, I do see small floaters go past the camera off and on. We were warmer again and a bunch of the fish were out hanging around the aerator. Picking amoung the lily pots.

Reaction score
yeah but then later it was 45 bottom 36 surface, wandering all over, full sun and warm today
Your surface stays at 36F and the bottom moves between 39F and 45F in a day? It's difficult to come up with an explaination for that. First I thought well maybe the density of 39F and 45F are close to each other, so I checked and they're not close. 36F and 42F would be close to equal. But then that would mean, I assume, there is a layer of 39F, the heaviest, stuck in the middle. And with pumping going on to boot.

Also, that large a pond shouldn't be able to gain so much in such a short period.

My assumption for now has to be the readings aren't accurate. Thanks for trying though.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good assumption, but tested the thermoeter, reads accurate, tested the water multiple time, same reading each time, tested thermoeter against two other, reads accurate. We have been having swinging temps, full sun, temp up 20 degrees above normal, I have black liner floating above the warm area to give the fish a hiding spot. In my opinion the floating liner makes a nice warm spot. That stuff does suck in the sun, warming the water below it. sort of like a solar blanket on a swimming pool

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Great idea about the floating liner and may have to try it .Black does absorb heat from the sun really well .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is my ppl that I float, I think the epdm would float also, but I have not tried it. The fish hang out under it all of the time, also heron can't see the fish protection..lol

Ask a Question