Hi from Oregon

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Okay so here is the setup. Currently the rubbermaid is chock full of debris and floaters that look like algae.
pond march 14 (7).JPG

e
Here's an overview. The tub drains down the bog (if that's the correct term) and enters the pond to the left, in front of that azalea. This is after a few days of rain, so the pond is looking pretty full. Usually its down at least a foot below this. I see a blackberry vine I missed :(
pond march 14 (8).JPG

This is showing the bog run-down area. It's not really a great picture, obviously. I wasn't really accounting for the glare since I'm so unused to taking pictures. This is where I think mosquitos are laying eggs. It's just kind of gross: rank and slow moving. And I grew up swimming in cattle ponds, so I don"t gross out easily.
pond march 14 (9).JPG

Attachments

• pond march 14 (8).JPG
    pond march 14 (8).JPG
    347.2 KB · Views: 193
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have been reading about bogs on here and at one point addy mentions not to filter before the bog. This probably doesn't matter much in my specific case because the filter is not working at full capabilities. Could I make it steeper and more like a waterfall if I get a more powerful pump, without it being more work to maintain overall health? I really want the previous owner to pick up his fish so I can get to work without being worried I will cause them harm!! I suppose I will have to focus on the surrounding area for a few more months.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looks like your rundown area is pretty flat with debris in it. Make it steeper for faster flow. Can you clean out the rubbermaid? If it is full of debris it is most likely not working real well. If you are on city water rinse it with water that you dechlor so you don't kill off the good bacteria.

Ask a Question