Hi there

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm a big fan of ponds, although I haven't built one yet at my current house. There's just something so fascinating about having a small, balanced ecosystem in your backyard. I'm a big fan of nature, especially reptiles and amphibians, and as such I also own and run Backwater Reptiles, where I ship live herps to customers around the country. If you're interested in stocking your pond with baby turtles, newts, or frogs, check us out. Anyways, glad to be here and looking forward to learning a bit more about water quality (namely preventing unsightly algae). I'm imagining it has something to do with the nitrate load, or too much direct sunlight?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Frogswelcomev.gif

Welcome to our group! The best way to control algae is to have great filtration and a lot of plants. My pond is in full sun and does great with the algae i.e. no pea soup green stuff, just a little algae on plants, a little on the bottom and sides, which is normal and helpful.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
WELCOME TO THE FORUM....WE'RE ALL BIG FANS OF PONDS HERE!!! so much so that when we're not out enjoying or maintaining our ponds, we're in the house, on line, here, talking about how much we enjoy and maintain our ponds!! its ridiculous, and i'm kind of ashamed of it...lol....'ponders anonymous' is what this sites name should be....anyways " i'll see ya around the site" enjoy your pond and your time here!
Mark

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
WELCOME TO THE FORUM....WE'RE ALL BIG FANS OF PONDS HERE!!! so much so that when we're not out enjoying or maintaining our ponds, we're in the house, on line, here, talking about how much we enjoy and maintain our ponds!! its ridiculous, and i'm kind of ashamed of it...lol....'ponders anonymous' is what this sites name should be....anyways " i'll see ya around the site" enjoy your pond and your time here!
Mark

lol.................... heat, rain, dark mornings keep me inside..............than gone and outside most of the day. Heading out right now, breakie done, few rains showers have moved on..........have a great day lol

sigh boots on, notice it is getting dark, look outside it is pouring............thunder, lightening back inside boots off, dark enough night vision camea's came back on............

yeah we need a gpf anonymous self help site.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Coming soon to a neighbourhood near you.....PONDERS ANONYMOUS. " Hello. My name is Addy and I'm a pond addict.".. I can just picture it! John
P.S. Forgot to say "welcome to the forum, Backwater".

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Coming soon to a neighbourhood near you.....PONDERS ANONYMOUS. " Hello. My name is Addy and I'm a pond addict.".. I can just picture it! John
roflol...............no kidding! As we then sneak back out to our ponds under the cover of darknessssssssssssss
Waiting for the last of the lightening to move out.........this is the striking stuff, not even going outside..

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum.

Too darn hot to be outside today 100 degrees yesterday and 99 today with heat index it is probably some where around 110. But I can't complain the folks in Texas have had two months of this heat.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
ducktapewelcome.gif
Backwater

Was just sunny and warm here today. Perfect day in the pond to net the muck, clean the filter and move things around a bit. Supposed to be this was for a week or more..............maybe forever............well I guess that's pushing it some :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Welcome Backwater! I have a 6" red slider turtle in my pond, but he is very shy and skittish. Here in NY we can't buy them any smaller than 4". Someone on the forum has a baby one in their pond that is very friendly and not afraid of them.

Tmann, with it being so hot there, does your pond get overheated? How do people with 100+ degree weather keep their ponds from getting too hot?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome Backwater! I have a 6" red slider turtle in my pond, but he is very shy and skittish. Here in NY we can't buy them any smaller than 4". Someone on the forum has a baby one in their pond that is very friendly and not afraid of them.

Tmann, with it being so hot there, does your pond get overheated? How do people with 100+ degree weather keep their ponds from getting too hot?

My pond in arizona was 5 feet deep, Had a waterfall feature and a stream, the water never got over 85 and we hit 115-120 in the summer. The waterfall cooled the water nicely and the depth really helped.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I see... I was thinking that the ponds would have to be deeper, but wasn't sure if a waterfall would help or hinder in that heat.
They help like an evap cooler, the constantly falling water cools even when it is hotter than poop out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucaryan

Latest Threads