How long have you had your pond WITHOUT predation by wing or paw?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
20+ year old small (600 gallon) pond, never netted. Heron has cleaned it out a couple of times, but there is a larger (2-3 acre) pond in a public park a quarter mile away and seems to attract most of the scofflaws. Pond is close to the house, with a couple of dogs running around 24/7. It used to be completely concealed by a large Japanese Maple and the airborne marauders could not see it in their fly-byes. But the tree eventually had to come down and the water is now in easy view. Still very little predation - none in 2 years at least. Yes, I realize it is sheer luck...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm very surprised; I didn't think I'd be the only one to not lose a fish as I surely thought some would be telling me 'I netted from the beginning and just laugh at predators!" but so far, nada. I figured those with new ponds, like 1-2 years would chime in, telling of no protection and no fish loss. That's why I was wondering 'how long?' is the longest. So far, WG seems to have the best record at 9 years and no known predation.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
This a screen grab from our security cam overnight. Three raccoons (circled) were fishing along our pond’s shelf. The fish are deep and the water is cold so they caught nothing. It serves them right - trespassing poachers!
3E8FBDD5-0A4B-4FB6-9ED1-7E625207F7CD.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
My water gardens don't have any fish or other aquatic vertebrates.... and they don't have any mosquitoes either due to an occasional application of B.t.i. Still, someday I could have herbivores come in for lunch, but so far I haven't noticed much damage.

I'm not opposed to having a more complete aquatic ecosystem, if frogs ever do come to my little 'ponds' I'd be very happy.
...but for me, plants-only water features seems to be the best ratio of enjoyment to maintenance.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
7 month old pond, no herons, several raccoons but they haven't succeeded in getting any of the larger goldfish yet. There are dozens of herons in the Rio Grande just chillin' for the winter only about a half mile away, so I'm always a little fearful they'll discover the pond. Neighbors on both sides have dogs so maybe that helps.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are in their flight path, west to east morning, east to west in the evening. A heron rookery is west of us. See them fly over all of the time, actually see them pause and look down at the pond No trees covering it. The big maple helped some then it died.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We are in their flight path, west to east morning, east to west in the evening. A heron rookery is west of us. See them fly over all of the time, actually see them pause and look down at the pond No trees covering it. The big maple helped some then it died.
well, I figured there'd be some that would tilt their heads, screw their eyes up, and ask; 'ah, what's a heron?' and then we'd ALL be soooo envious it would cause some meltdowns, heh heh. Still waitin' fer THOSE folks! You know, the smug ones who think their lil bit of pond heaven is safe and secure just because they wish it so! And I DID wonder how long (the longest) someone had NOT been predated.

And EVEN WITH a screened in structure, I STILL had a heron find me and circle the pond, looking. So, not like I'm immune, just immune to loss of wildlife.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
still undefeated...but the thing that i missin fishes into pond is by my side....ahaha

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
still undefeated...but the thing that i missin fishes into pond is by my side....ahaha
that's another approach; take the fish out when you leave and put them back in when you're out enjoyin' the pond. Better have waterproof pockets, though...;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
that's another approach; take the fish out when you leave and put them back in when you're out enjoyin' the pond. Better have waterproof pockets, though...;)
damn, that can be an idea! then add wheels to the pocket and a leash...and can go outside with em :O

Ask a Question