True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
How many fish do you have? 37
What kind are they?11-Mixed goldfish, 24- butterfly and standard Koi, 2-plecos
How big are they? Goldfish 5"-12" Koi 5" to 19" Pleco 13" and 16"
How many gallons are your ponds? 8650 gallons

Reading above the comment of 1000 gallons for the first koi, 500 gallons for each additional. I've read and heard this many times. I don't agree with this fully. 500 gallons per adult fish would be tight quarters and if they are 36"+ then 1000 gallons per fish would probably be a better scenerio. But that being said, 2500 gallons could easily hold 20-30 koi of 5"-10" in size. It really depends on how well the water is filtered, the quality of the water, and the level in which the filtration can work in balance with the amount of fish and still have enough filtration to keep the water quality good and still allow the fish to grow. Honestly I've seen 2500 gallon ponds that did not need anything larger than a couple of 3" fantails, and I've seen 2500 gallon ponds keep 30 fish for a few years and be perfectly healthy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Goldfish pond:
How many fish do you have? About 22
What kind: 4 fantails, 4 Shubunkins, rest Sarassa and Common Goldfish
How big are they - 5 babies, 1.5-2"; 3 Fantails 3-4", 1 Fantail 5"; 5 large goldfish/Sarassa/Shubunkins; 8 Goldfish (Sarassa and Commons) moved from koi pond - 3"-6"
How many gallons - about 2,750 gallons, plus plant bog which is about another 1,200 gallons (haven't figured this one, but this is a guess); skimmer, stream.

Koi pond:
How many fish:
What kind: Koi and goldfish
How big are they - Koi: 1 - 10", 2 - 8", 4 - 6", 12 - 4"; Goldfish - probably about 15 ranging from 2"-6"
How many gallons - 4,200 plus a plant bog of about 750 gallons, Skippy filter, waterfall, skimmer.

I agree with comments above. Not so much how many gallons, it's how well you take care of the water quality. I know I'm overloaded in the koi pond, or will be in a couple of years, but for now all seem to be doing just fine. Both ponds have lots of frogs, Goldfish pond is teeny tiny toad tadpole babies. :)

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I lost count of the smaller gold fish in the bottom pond. If I had to guess it would be 50 or so small to medium goldfish in the bottom pond.
The middle pond I have three koi that are about one pound each, and four half to quarter pound koi and a couple big gold fish.
In the top pond I have two very large koi, maybe five pounds each that have been their since they were baby's, many years ago. I hand feed them dog food and they follow me around when I walk by the pond. They like to suck on my fingers and toes.
All ponds flow from top to bottom and size gates prevent the large fish from going down stream to eat the smaller fish.
Total water volume over 3500 gallons roughly.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i dont agree with any written limitations on fish stocking...good filtration and waterchanges can more than compensate for lack of volume in pond in water quality. as far as room to swim,and building muscularity, i know my fish dont move fast unless spooked, their entire life is a slow leisurely glide to their next meal. i'ver kept over 100 fish in my basement pond. and at 800 gallons. fish load is based on more than the number of fish, or their size....how much and what you feed is bigger factor...how often you feed. how much filtration you have plays a big role. right down to how much effort are you willing to put in. untill i sold 55 4" -7" koi a few weeks back i had 61 5" on average koi. 5 20" koi, 18" koi and 19" pieco in my basement pond...and fed them 3 times a day....absolutely trouble free...all my fish are happy healthy and highly social.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have a 900 gal pond with "too many" fish (I'm looking to add a new pond by the end of summer):

5 Goldfish - 4-9 inches long
16 2-3" koi
2 bullfrogs (will be moving those this weekend)
3 green frogs (they get to stay)

I have a DYI filtersystem made up of 50 gal. settling tank (water level makes it 35 gal true capacity), and a 35 gal biofilter with 12 bio balls, 240 feet of unrolled body scrubbies, and 2 feet of aquarium airstones in the biofilter adding oxgen to the mix. So hopefully its enough to handle the load.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
It's funny how so many of us say we have "too many fish" ... but the key is, if they are happy, healthy, and none are dying, things must be working out ok. I won't let mine get to the point of dying before I sell or give away a few, but for now they are doing just fine.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Sorry aobut your loss Damian.

I have
11 Koi
4" - 14"
2,500 gal approximate

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I always thought, too, that if I get too many fish, and can't sell or give them away, I can always stock my farm pond with them. That would be wild, seeing white, red, yellow, black, orange fish in the farm pond. LOL That's how you get the biggest and prettiest koi, they say, in old clay bottom ponds. :)

Reaction score
I have 17 total, I think. 4 Koi, 1 a butterfly. 4 Comets and 9 other Goldfish. They range from 4"-10" My pond capacity is 1500 gallon(ish). I could be way off; thats what previous owner said. I should really calculate myself.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
27 Gin Rin - 2 10"- rest 5-6" pond 2700gal.
24 koi- 4 24-30", 10 12-15" rest 6-10" in 3800 gal. All but 2 of the larger koi are being sold and 10-15 smaller ones.

Ask a Question