How many goldfish can be added to a pond?

Reaction score
Yes I have a clear idea, but it isn't simple. Slice the pond in horizontal layers with each layer say 1" deep. Then lay a 1" grid over the top of each layer and count the number of squares that fall in the water. Guess at partial squares, less than 1/2 get tossed, more than half are counted as 1 (if you find any that are exactly 1/2 you are too anal for 1" squares and need to use smaller and smaller squares until you say Uncle).

After you do this for each layer you add total all the squares in water and that total is cubic inches which can be converted to gals with many online calculators.

As I alluded to, 1" square gives you a certain precision, 1/2" squares gives more precision. Smaller the square the higher the precision. So depends on how far you want to go. Something like a 1' square is more than good enough for most people and pretty easy.

I do it in software so it's simple to get very high precision.

Of course that often all goes out the window when the digging starts. Ponds on paper are often not the same in dirt.

Reaction score
Kristi Kelty said:
Thanks all for the advice!
I know this is off subject, but I now realize that I need to carefully re-calculate the volume and GPH in this pond.....It is difficult because of the center island and underwater shelves that are around about half of the pond. Does anyone have a clear idea about how to do this?
Length= 16 '
Width=8'
Somewhat kIdney shaped
Center "island area" that is 3.5'
Two deeper areas are each 19" (each about 2' diameter)
HELP! ;)
Not enough info to work with, but a simple rectangle, 16' x 8' x 1.5' works out to a bit better than 1400 gallons ... if you cut off the corners of the rectangle, make a dent in a side for a kidney shape, the volume you are losing MAY be made up for with the island area. Depending on the size of the center island, you are likely still around 1400 gallons give or take a bit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you!!!!!
K

Attachments

• Joey and the Reds.mov
    2 MB · Views: 224
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG