How to deal with (intentionally drilled) holes in Rubbermaid stock tank.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was planning to repurpose my 300 gal stock tank. I previously used it as a QT, but now want to convert it into an upflow gravel bog. But.....I realized today that back when it was my QT, I drilled holes around the perimeter as over-flow protection (didn’t want the fish to float out over the sides when we would get some of our notorious torrential rains).

I am still in the planning stages for the bog and it may not be an issue, but was wondering what kind of options there are if I end up needing to seal these holes. They are high enough on the walls that overflow from the bog might not be a problem — but that’s what I’m worried about. And darn, if I didn’t drill them all the way around!

Some of the holes.
C9086FC5-45A5-4828-870A-DD523E6EE1A4.jpeg

They are right under the “lip” of the stock tank.

85C354D2-7398-4FD6-9EDF-4A3918A56A9B.jpeg

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Threaded bulkheads and screw a cap into them to plug them.

Most likely will be fine if you drill the return hole for the bog a few inches below the existing holes.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Silicone won’t make a water tight seal on plastic.

How big are those holes?

Maybe some type of bolt/nut with a rubber washer/ gasket. Tightening it up so the rubber gasket compresses tight.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Silicone won’t make a water tight seal on plastic.

How big are those holes?

Maybe some type of bolt/nut with a rubber washer/ gasket. Tightening it up so the rubber gasket compresses tight.
Was thinking the same, but can also try nylon bolts/nuts if concerned with corrosion

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Was thinking the same, but can also try nylon bolts/nuts if concerned with corrosion
That's what I would try too. You can get neoprene or buna washers at your home store. Nylon or stainless bolts and washers. I'm guessing true bulkheads will break the bank and cost as much as the stock tank itself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
this helps my thought process with the redesign of my bog disaster. Using a stock tank will help speed up the creation of a secondary bog to feed the waterfall. I assume having two bogs are okay?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Why would those holes matter just protection .They do sell stock tank adapters that have plugs in them .But if you do like I did and put the tank inside a liner so if it ever overflows all the water goes back into the pond .Less worry if any thing gets plugged and tank overflows

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Jhn....and everyone else — thank you for the replies! I’ll have to find the drill bit I used to know what size they are. I just went with a size I thought would handle the escaping water during a deluge. The holes are all the way around the tank (I think). I’m not even sure if they will even be a problem, but I panicked when I looked at the tank. And after I panicked it dawned on me that I could probably adjust the weir low enough that water leakage wouldn’t be an issue. I’ll get back with some numbers!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@Mmathis, I'm picking up my stock tank tomorrow at Tractor Supply and hope to get the gravel off my deck this weekend, in fear of collapse from the weight. Can you tell me our plans for the bog? Will it be buried and how are you planning to move the water out of the tank? I really don't want to dig any longer and would like to keep it above ground as much as possible. Though I'm concerned with the weight of the gravel. For the spillway, I'm considering a 3 in hole near the top and extended a little by a PVC pipe, which empties into a waterfall. Looking forward to hear your plans.

kind of like this but empties to a waterfall
e9d1eccec8fc492a33d051e7f6a80846.jpg

plumbing similar to this
994dc52d1a2179916a366954b0efd98d.jpg

Ask a Question