Hummingbird feeders

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When you have multiple feeders out, is it better to group them together or spread them around the yard?

I’ve seen a lot of “grouped” feeders that are covered with hummers. But I usually spread mine out and the hummers just seem to spend all their time and energy chasing each other around the yard, I assume, defending territories. So, just wondering if it makes a difference in how/where they’re placed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I think no matter what you do, they will be territorial. Hummingbirds are CRAZY! I have two feeders, one on each opposite side of the house. This one bird tries to guard BOTH! Greedy little booger. He will sit in the tree and turn his head from side. To side. To side. To side. Then he will zoom over the top of the roof and sit on a branch over there and turn his head from side. To side. To side. Goofy bird. We will watch him go back and forth, obviously burning a ton of calories. He wouldn't need two feeders if he didn't guard both so zealously!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They are vicious little birds. We had one last year we named Sarge as he had white striped on his wings. All of the feeders were his! He would actually attack other hummers and take them to the ground. Made me a little nervous to go out and work with the feeders.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I think no matter what you do, they will be territorial. Hummingbirds are CRAZY! I have two feeders, one on each opposite side of the house. This one bird tries to guard BOTH! Greedy little booger. He will sit in the tree and turn his head from side. To side. To side. To side. Then he will zoom over the top of the roof and sit on a branch over there and turn his head from side. To side. To side. Goofy bird. We will watch him go back and forth, obviously burning a ton of calories. He wouldn't need two feeders if he didn't guard both so zealously!

This.

For years we had multiple feeders. In the end it didn't really matter. Easier to just maintain one and we keep it near our kitchen window. Our sunflower, suet, and nyjer feeders are grouped together and they don't seem to mind.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
They are vicious little birds. We had one last year we named Sarge as he had white striped on his wings. All of the feeders were his! He would actually attack other hummers and take them to the ground. Made me a little nervous to go out and work with the feeders.
And did you notice how LOUD they are? For itty bitty guys, they sure do chatter!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yep, we see the same antics here in northeastern PA. They are funny to watch.
One time my wife was wearing a T-shirt that had flowers on it and one of them came toward her and hovered near the "flowers".

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Get a small hand held one. Getting them up close it's nice.
I saw those on AMAZON. Not sure I have the patience to sit or stand still long enough for them to discover me, but it would be cool!

What has always been most curious to me about hummers is this: they expend so much energy chasing each other around — how do the even store enough food in their little bodies to compensate for tat plus simply get enough nourishment to survive?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have 4 Hummingbird feeders around the yard! I placed them where I can enjoy them the most, the hummers share the feeders with the Orioles, and yes they are all territorial, but they still share :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Don't be! @Mmathis you're in zone 8, I'm pretty sure with the right food you could attract more beautiful birds than I could ever have here!
There were no Orioles anywhere on my street, so in mid April one year, we set orange nectar and different kinds of jelly, and kept it fresh even though we never saw any birds eating it. Then one day in early Fall a couple of Orioles probably while migrating South, found our feeders. They stuck around for a couple of days then took off, but came back the next year and nested in my yard.
The next year more came and so on, now it is impossible to take a walk outside and not see an Oriole.

Give it a try!
smfeedingbird.gif

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We saw one oriole last year. I got a feeder this spring but nothing so took it down .I may put it back up later.These are our feeder setups.
20180627_185533.jpg
20180627_185540.jpg

Ask a Question