j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Mines up too and they are starting to come. Only one at a time so far, so no fights yet!
Next time you will hopefully remember to take them inside to some place warmer before cold weather hits.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Mines up too and they are starting to come. Only one at a time so far, so no fights yet!
Next time you will hopefully remember to take them inside to some place warmer before cold weather hits.
They were in my shed. They were only the cheapest plastic ones my glass one' were in the house. They seem to like the cheap ones best

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yes I agree I buy the cheap ones as the glass ones w/ the red flower looking things I bought at Walmart all ended up dripping all the time. So now only I only buy a certain kind.

This is the kind that dripped on me and I bought two and they both leaked but not right away. They waited till the next year to leak so I couldn't take them back.
upload_2018-4-29_10-7-4.jpeg

This one below and the smaller glass one below never leaks.

upload_2018-4-29_10-14-46.jpeg

upload_2018-4-29_10-15-5.jpeg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I haven’t seen any yet this year, but checked my calendar and I do have a notation where we’ve had them this early. We usually get an influx in June/July. Guess it’s time to clean the feeders and get them up!

@j.w My favorite feeder is like the one in your bottom pick. I’ve tried all kinds.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This picture was posted on Face Book. Someone took an old hanging light fixture and converted it into a multi-feeder! Cool idea! Guess I’ll be checking out garage sales, LOL!

Problem is, the hummers that show up at my house are so darn territorial that they spend more time guarding the feeders and chasing each other away than they spend at the feeders! But what’s cool about this idea: built-perches!

2EF6B2D0-EDE0-4961-ADB8-D92F70589EEE.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
This picture was posted on Face Book. Someone took an old hanging light fixture and converted it into a multi-feeder! Cool idea! Guess I’ll be checking out garage sales, LOL!

Problem is, the hummers that show up at my house are so darn territorial that they spend more time guarding the feeders and chasing each other away than they spend at the feeders! But what’s cool about this idea: built-perches!

View attachment 109945
We have one dominant that has a favorite perch in a tree over looking our feeders. He likes to chase the others but he can only chasaon at a time. One over the others will come then.last year we had him at least another adult male several juveniles and a few females. There was a lot of chasing going on between my three feeders.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
I've heard people say that's why they put them around the corner from each other so they can't see each other.
My wife bought a feeder that I hung today. Sounds like we should get some more to keep the fighting down.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Rufus hummers are really aggressive. They will keep all other hummers from the feeders. We had them in Colorado, hung feeders on every side of the house to try and let others eat. Real pretty. But territorial. Not my picture :)

iu

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I put my feeders up but I haven't seen a hummer yet this year...Orioles are late too

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Rufus hummers are really aggressive. They will keep all other hummers from the feeders. We had them in Colorado, hung feeders on every side of the house to try and let others eat. Real pretty. But territorial. Not my picture :)

iu
We only get Rubys they seem to chase each other but they keep coming back

Ask a Question