Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Here is a migration map

http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

Other migration maps of more then just hummingbirds

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/maps/Maps.html

WOW! Thank you so much! I didn't know anything like this existed!

I have a couple of local friends who are usually among the first to have hummer spottings, and both just replied to my FB post that they have seen them, one as early as 2 weeks ago.

I'm switching my feeders over to the saucer-shaped ones this year, in hopes of deterring wasps. Was just wondering if it was too early to get them out.

Happy hummer-watching, everyone! Please post here when your's start arriving.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yes I have seen them zooming around lately and I need to get the feeders up. I saw one checking out the blossoms on the Peach tree. Not sure it got anything outta them but it was looking. We have been warmer than usual here this year.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That is a fantastic map! Looking forward to those sightings getting closer and closer!

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Nice map, @RobAmy! Here's an Anna's hummer (in silhouette), as seen through our sliding glass door yesterday. This is a resident bird that winters over in our area...
image.jpg

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Must be what I am seeing around here then. Do you keep the feeders out all year @Troutredds ?
No, I just put ours out recently but many neighbors feed them all year. I'd prefer our hummers to all follow natural migratory patterns - but with our warm winters, some birds stay year around.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well whichever kind it was I should put out at least one feeder to start with now. I take mine in when they slack off in the fall. Don't know if anyone feeds them here year round but I'm guessing not.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I put my feeder out already. Much earlier than I usually do but you never know when the earliest ones will arrive, and when they do they'll need food right away. I've noticed that an Oriole feeder with orange nectar seems to attract the hummingbirds much more than a hummingbird feeder with red nectar.

Of course, once my Mexican Sunflowers start flowering, the feeders won't matter, the hummers will fly right past them to get to the sunflowers.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@JBtheExplorer Do you grow them indoors, then put them outside? I would try them but I thought I was too cold.

No, I just plant the seeds outside after the last frost date (first week of May here). They grew quick and before I knew it they were 2' taller than what the seed packet said. If you try to grow them, the one thing I would say is try to figure out a way to brace them. They're fine when they're small, but once they get to about 6' tall, rain is their enemy. Still worth having though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
LOVE that map! I missed their arrival last year and by the time I noticed them, it was already too late to make my feeder a regular stopping point. I'll keep an eye on it and put my feeder out in time this year.

Ask a Question