in layman's turms

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have the original drain holes on one side only plus I drilled 2 more holes- all 3/4". I had a box get plugged and overflow so drilled 1" holes 3/4 of the way up the side facing the pond.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
how many holes do you have to put in the planter .I wonder if the extra hoses I have coming from my uv would work or would the uv cause problems with the plants .I use my plant pockets but that would work also since pond water would be running through the roots and back into the pond .It would help clean the water
Water exposed to UV will have no affect on the plants.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Are the bottom portions of your boxes still plugged?
These window boxes are designed to fit over a deck railing. I only opened up the side over the pond and then added the extra holes. Usually by late summer I have plants growing out of the bottom drainage holes. I have grown everything from mint , day lilies, hibiscus, elephant ears and even pepper plants. I did have to anchor the pots to the rail as the first year, deer knocked two boxes into the pond. I use the foam designed to keep gutters open as a medium.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think you need a good amount of live plants to make any difference in the nitrate level. Some good submerged floating plants to try are anacharis and hornwort. Im just not sure how they will fare with Koi in the pond (I dont have Koi)

Reaction score
I'm having similar problems. I added water lilies and some other plants. I don't know what size your koi are, but mine were small when I added the plants. Thankfully to date they don't bother them. You have the problem of depth. How about some floating baskets? You'd need a lot but worth a try. Or you could try the dreaded 'weed' - water hyacinth - which no one seems to be able to successfully grow, even though its a weed (can you tell it frustrates me?!?!?!). My koi do eat that. But they leave my potted plants alone.

Do you have any kind of water catchment area before the water goes back into the pond? Waterfall bucket, small pond - something like that? You could plant that if you have it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I put plants in my filters also but you do have to trim the roots often .I like how they hide the filter .Fountain grass really looks the best .Looks like your filter has a wig on :)

Attachments

• pond 2013 015.JPG
    pond 2013 015.JPG
    365.5 KB · Views: 209
  • pond 2013 016.JPG
    pond 2013 016.JPG
    351.8 KB · Views: 207

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members