Inherited watershed/pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello

I have large pond that is beginning to fill with cat tails (summer is just beginning so they're growing quickly!) and I find myself combatting them every weekend. I realize if I cut them then raise my dam they tend to not grow which is the goal. BUT they are in places I cannot reach (the dam was way too low for way too long before we moved in) and the more I rake from the shore line the more I tend to cover the frogs and their delicate homes. How do I go about reaching the cattails? Bog rake that I can throw out to the middle? Long telescoping tools? Floating island w inner tube and a platform?? Or do I simply invest in waders and have at it? Honestly waders would be fun but I worry about how deep the water could be.

I love this pond and found a photo from the 50s when it was and would love to get it back to that state. Though I am new to ponding, I have had large freshwater fish tanks in the past and now maintain a pool so I enjoy hardwork, daily maintenance regimes and a little DIY:)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1592091181341.gif
@GreenLady
Would love to see photo's!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Gee, if you have a pic of the pond from the 1950’s, would love to see that pic side by side to one of the pond now!

I have no idea how to help you get out the excess plants, but if you are very careful (not knowing the depth), maybe waders would do the trick. Does the water level ever fluctuate?

Reaction score
Country
United States
W
Hello

I have large pond that is beginning to fill with cat tails (summer is just beginning so they're growing quickly!) and I find myself combatting them every weekend. I realize if I cut them then raise my dam they tend to not grow which is the goal. BUT they are in places I cannot reach (the dam was way too low for way too long before we moved in) and the more I rake from the shore line the more I tend to cover the frogs and their delicate homes. How do I go about reaching the cattails? Bog rake that I can throw out to the middle? Long telescoping tools? Floating island w inner tube and a platform?? Or do I simply invest in waders and have at it? Honestly waders would be fun but I worry about how deep the water could be.

I love this pond and found a photo from the 50s when it was and would love to get it back to that state. Though I am new to ponding, I have had large freshwater fish tanks in the past and now maintain a pool so I enjoy hardwork, daily maintenance regimes and a little DIY:)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I also have a large pond/dam. Where are you located? I would love to take some of those cattails off your hands /pond.
Also waders are awesome for pond edge clearing and inspecting the dam. I was lucky to find a pair of chest waders at the Goodwill.

Reaction score
Country
United States
How big is your pond? When you mention damn I imagine something quite large. Are you opposed to going in barefoot? Waders if so and small floating platform to toss the cattails into. Is your pond big enough to justify a canoe or small jonboat?
I'm not sure of size, but a canoe is what Iam considering. Thanks for the reply- dk how I missed this!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Gee, if you have a pic of the pond from the 1950’s, would love to see that pic side by side to one of the pond now!

I have no idea how to help you get out the excess plants, but if you are very careful (not knowing the depth), maybe waders would do the trick. Does the water level ever fluctuate?
I do have a pic from the 50s:) working on a side by side- now vs. Then cheers+

Ask a Question